• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ally swarf in clear resin

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Woody, Peter. This is STUNNING! Violet has very good taste. This is one of my favorite pens this year. :bravo::bravo:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That a beauty Woody,:thumbs::thumbs: have you tried brass and copper swarf?

Hi Mark
Peter is sending me one with brass not sure about copper it would have to go on a copper kit so it would be a bit restricted but Peter is the main man in this as it is all his idea and he is the one making them without him none of this would have happened he is the Maestro on this one so I owe him a bloody great big thank you for the privilege of turning another one of his beautiful brainwave blanks, there are so many talented people on this forum and I have had some extraordinary blanks sent to me that these guys have made I wouldn't have a scooby were to start casting blanks
And again a big thank you to every one who has commented on this post form Peter the main man and myself

Edward Po

Woody very nice pen with a very well matched pen kit.

Peter, can briefly described how you make the blanks cos I have tons of shaving in my shop.

Now let me see, in my machine shop I have brass shaving, mild steel shaving, stainless steel shaving, alumimium shaving, GOLD shaving, which should I used to try out.:goesred:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Now let me see, in my machine shop I have brass shaving, mild steel shaving, stainless steel shaving, alumimium shaving, GOLD shaving, which should I used to try out.:goesred:

Be very careful, gold is the worst, don't even be tempted by it, I can help you out if you send me enough for two blanks, I will send you a blank and you have eluded the danger:bwink::thumbs::bwink::thumbs::bwink:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Mark
Peter is sending me one with brass not sure about copper it would have to go on a copper kit so it would be a bit restricted but Peter is the main man in this as it is all his idea and he is the one making them without him none of this would have happened he is the Maestro on this one so I owe him a bloody great big thank you for the privilege of turning another one of his beautiful brainwave blanks, there are so many talented people on this forum and I have had some extraordinary blanks sent to me that these guys have made I wouldn't have a scooby were to start casting blanks
And again a big thank you to every one who has commented on this post form Peter the main man and myself

Woody, thanks, but I am certainly no Maestro on this one. I may be the first here to try it and I may have been lucky with how they end up, but it is all down to an enormous amount of luck.

I have got copper and that will come up in the future, but like you say a copper kit would probably be best and there's not a lot of choice in those, plus copper can be a grabby bugger.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

Peter, can briefly described how you make the blanks cos I have tons of shaving in my shop.

I think you should try the brass, and aluminium Edward but send me the gold as it probably needs special treatment :funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Sorry I forgot to answer your question. I used pvc tube to put the swarf in and then poured waterclear polyester resin in. The problem with using a tube is that you don't always get a uniform amount of swarf along the tube. It might be better to use an oblong mould as you could then arrange the swarf as you wish.

I would use the aluminium first as it is easier to turn, I would imagine that the stainless would not be great as it is very tough and if you get a catch or it doesn't cut cleanly then it can drag out or break bits of the resin. If you do SS let us know how it goes although I doubt that I would be bothered making one from SS.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Peter you have already had more success than me.
I tried this some years ago when I was working with plastics, a different material, I used copper.
I found as you have said the copper simply tore its way out of the plastic.
I ended up painting the brass tube and sliding the copper shaving down inside a clear acrylic tube.
The recipient was happy but I wasn't.
Good luck with your venture, they sure look good so far.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter you have already had more success than me.
I tried this some years ago when I was working with plastics, a different material, I used copper.
I found as you have said the copper simply tore its way out of the plastic.
I ended up painting the brass tube and sliding the copper shaving down inside a clear acrylic tube.
The recipient was happy but I wasn't.
Good luck with your venture, they sure look good so far.

Copper is a bugger and I think SS wouldn't work, but I am only guessing at that. I have lots of silver and I was tempted to use it that's why I did ally first, but I won't be using the silver in the same way, it would be a waste I think.

I will make a few more, but like the pine cones been there, done that. I'll move on after a few more :thumbs:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Oh yeah I have a couple rolls of silver flat wire I had forgotten about.
Wonder what I could do with that init?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I love that blank ! Nicely made up of course by His Grace.

Very clever, I can see how casting becomes addictive, I guess you're only limited by your (or others) imagination.

I'd gladly buy that blank given the opportunity.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Oh yeah I have a couple rolls of silver flat wire I had forgotten about.
Wonder what I could do with that init?

Make some design on a tube and if you don't have resin send it to me and I will cast it in clear for you. A filigree outer skin on a blank perhaps all nicely soldered together.

Peter

Edward Po

Sorry I forgot to answer your question. I used pvc tube to put the swarf in and then poured waterclear polyester resin in. The problem with using a tube is that you don't always get a uniform amount of swarf along the tube. It might be better to use an oblong mould as you could then arrange the swarf as you wish.

I would use the aluminium first as it is easier to turn, I would imagine that the stainless would not be great as it is very tough and if you get a catch or it doesn't cut cleanly then it can drag out or break bits of the resin. If you do SS let us know how it goes although I doubt that I would be bothered making one from SS.

Peter

Peter

Your swarf is in curly continuous form or just in very short length, I believe brass chip could be different because it is in small tiny silver form.

Btw, will it help if I manually compressed the swarf in the tube so that it will be evenly distributed in the tube?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Peter

Your swarf is in curly continuous form or just in very short length, I believe brass chip could be different because it is in small tiny silver form.

Don't know what brass you have been machining but the last 1tonne of brass swaf i saw was gold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward Po

My take on stainless steel (SS) swarf as a trained precision machinist is that, it will tearing out from the Polyster resin, reason is that the resin is much too softer and flexible than SS which itself is already very tough to work it especially with hand held tool.

However, if we can compact the SS swarf into cylinderical form, I believe it is still possible to machined it on a metal lathe with very sharp tool and very light cut.

I am most willing to try it if someone can cast the blank for me.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter

Btw, will it help if I manually compressed the swarf in the tube so that it will be evenly distributed in the tube?

If you try the brass chip it may be fantastic. The trouble with compressing the swarf is that if you compress it a lot then you might not have enough acrylic to hold the swarf in when you turn, it can easily rip out the acrylic as it may not be enough to hold onto the swarf. I found that by gently tapping the tube on a surface the smaller bits of swarf went down the tube, the problem is the larger swarf as it sticks to each other and doesn't get distributed evenly along the length of the tube.

Just try one and you will see what I mean, it's not insurmountable.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
My take on stainless steel (SS) swarf as a trained precision machinist is that, it will tearing out from the Polyster resin, reason is that the resin is much too softer and flexible than SS which itself is already very tough to work it especially with hand held tool.

However, if we can compact the SS swarf into cylinderical form, I believe it is still possible to machined it on a metal lathe with very sharp tool and very light cut.

I am most willing to try it if someone can cast the blank for me.

If you compact it I don't think there would be enough resin to hold it. I have a metal lathe and could do it myself, but my thinking is that it wouldn't work well enough for me to take the trouble to try it, but I could be wrong.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).