• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another Dip Pen & Stand

Frederick

Registered
First Name
Frederick
Do I feel old or what!!
Remember using these at school. These formed formidable weapons especially when fired from a homemade elastic band bow. The ink wells were supposed to be spill proof - I think not.

Cheers

Dibbs

First Name
Ian
Do I feel old or what!!
Remember using these at school. These formed formidable weapons especially when fired from a homemade elastic band bow. The ink wells were supposed to be spill proof - I think not.

Cheers

Me too.

It would be fun to make a couple and actually use them.

I've a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I looked on the link you gave earlier. Are the ferrules you use the ones described as "rose ferrules" and they fit into a standard 7mm tube? There are bronze and gilt nib ferrules as well but it says "Accommodation tips to convert quill to penholders" and I'm not quite sure what that means. Does it really mean for feather quills? That must be for the really serious eccentric.

Secondly, which nib? There are dozens different thicknesses and flexibility etc. They're cheap enough so I could try a few; but where to start? I'd like a general purpose medium one for normal writing and a medium italic for writing music.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Me too.

It would be fun to make a couple and actually use them.

I've a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I looked on the link you gave earlier. Are the ferrules you use the ones described as "rose ferrules" and they fit into a standard 7mm tube? There are bronze and gilt nib ferrules as well but it says "Accommodation tips to convert quill to penholders" and I'm not quite sure what that means. Does it really mean for feather quills? That must be for the really serious eccentric.

Secondly, which nib? There are dozens different thicknesses and flexibility etc. They're cheap enough so I could try a few; but where to start? I'd like a general purpose medium one for normal writing and a medium italic for writing music.

The ferrules that I use are the ones pictured below and they do fit into a 7mm tube, I think they are called rose ferrules. With regard to nib sizes I bought a job lot of Vintage nibs off eBay and up to yet all of them fit the ferrules.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).