• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Anyone turning DNS pens?

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Evening one and all,

One of my delightful children bought me a starter set of DNS pens - which are pens made mainly of wood but with a free design. (Pencil / Pencilino - Schreibgerate und Zubehor - Zubehor) Not quite kitless, as I'm not that good (yet) but never the less significantly different from kit pens (of which I am a great fan).

So, as the title asks - any one turning these pens as I'd love to discuss the techniques.

I have already found the Phil Irons site - but he doesn't run the DNS course any longer.

Kind regards,

Chriscb

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Criscb a kit is a kit working a design would be as any long pen. If you did a small study of different hands (how they hold) you will be amazed at the variation. Therefore a variation in design is required
I rather like the design that Bill uses for his pens.

Peter.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I made a few a while ago Chris. The design of the components and techniques for turning are significantly different from the kits most people are used to. Do you have the instructions that go with them? If not I may have a copy somewhere.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I bought the starter pack a long time ago.....not got around to useing it yet....very good idea....might have to dig it out....again don't know who is supplying them now....:thinks:

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i really like the look and potential of them (but have not turned any). You have to import from Germany now I think- I did ask Phil Irons and that is where he directed me to. I cant remember the site, but it had instructions on it somewhere. You have to search on whatever the DNS stands for, ir I recall correctly, and use your search engine to translate the site.

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
I made a few a while ago Chris. The design of the components and techniques for turning are significantly different from the kits most people are used to. Do you have the instructions that go with them? If not I may have a copy somewhere.

Morning Walter,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the pack included the book, so the destructions are available. I guess I ought to bite the bullet and crack on, so to speak. Were you impressed by the finished pens? The kit seems to be very expensive.

Regards,

Chriscb

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
I bought the starter pack a long time ago.....not got around to useing it yet....very good idea....might have to dig it out....again don't know who is supplying them now....:thinks:

Morning Flexi,

The web link in my first post is the German site, with English translations, and they can supply all of the bits you need, including a metal shaft for turning the twister pen.

Regards,

Chriscb

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
i really like the look and potential of them (but have not turned any). You have to import from Germany now I think- I did ask Phil Irons and that is where he directed me to. I cant remember the site, but it had instructions on it somewhere. You have to search on whatever the DNS stands for, ir I recall correctly, and use your search engine to translate the site.

Morning,

Thanks for the reply. The web link in my first post is the website, so that's sorted. What I'm looking for is some hands on experience of making the pens, for, as Walter said, the techniques used to make the pens are very different to the ones I'm used to.

Regards,

Chriscb

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Morning Walter,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the pack included the book, so the destructions are available. I guess I ought to bite the bullet and crack on, so to speak. Were you impressed by the finished pens? The kit seems to be very expensive.

Regards,

Chriscb

They were OK Chris, and quality components, but they are very much what you make of them. Not sure they are really that good value.

I will be interested to hear what you think of them.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).