• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I am thinking of buying a box of seconds from Aussie burls. I remember reading a bit about them on this forum. Before I do I would like seek some advice - please.

Are burls ok for a beginner to turn. (Turning about six months)

Would they need to be stabalized (I see offers on burls that are stabalized)

It looks like many of the blanks are small, do burls segment - glue together well

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Simon

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I have bought several boxes only used a couple so far have not seen anything that would need stabilised some may have voids or cracks that would need resin filled or used for casting in my opinion excellent value

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Slightly different thing, but I bought a mallee burr from Turners Retreat and cut it up for pen blanks. I have had several of the finished pens crack and split weeks after they were made. However, the ready made pen blanks I have bought from Vince at Turners Workshop, mallee or Coolibah have been fine and look stunning when made. Sharp tools are a must and careful drilling. :thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Simon,

I've always said, and many of the guys will agree with me, that it's not until you have made and finished a burl pen that the real beauty of wood is revealed. You will probably want to keep it for yourself, or give to someone dear to you, in the belief that you will never make more lovelier a pen. Until you turn your next burl, that is! You have just created another masterpiece, worthy of a place in a show cabinet! This is what truly nice burls do to you. When you look at the other pens you've turned in the past suddenly none of them look so good anymore. But, of course, burls are not to everyone's taste. Women, I feel, would rather have a colourful acrylic than a wooden pen, no matter if it's plain holly or a magnificent piece of malee. Another thing you may consider is, don't waste these precious cuts of burl on Slimlines or the like. Instead, save them for the thicker, "man-type", two-part pens such as fountains and rollers. And, yes, it's true that you will need to step up a level when turning, filling, and polishing a burl, but done successfully you will never turn a more bespoke pen. Tell me I was wrong after you do it!
I wish you every success, my friend.

Bob.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Bob you just talked me into it. It sounds like it would be ideal to practice on less expensive off-cuts and then move onto the premium quality. I make those little perfume atomizer so the smaller blanks would be ideal (although, as you say, the ladies might not like them.) I have seen some darts kits which I am thinking of trying and aslo decorations for the tree.

Thank you everyone. This is why I love this forum. Have a query or problem - post it on here - problem query solved. Many forums don't want you to know the tips and tricks.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
LOL, Simon!

Before I forget - when you turn burls get into the habit of saving the shavings. Use small plastic pots with snap-on lids to store the shavings from light, medium and dark burls. Then, when a piece of rotted burl flies off the lathe leaving you with a crater to fill, choose the best match of shavings and use fine CA to form a paste. Smooth the paste into the hole or crack, leave to dry, then hit it with the sandpapers. If necessary, you can repeat the infill process until it's smooth. Or, another dodge is to use bronze, brass or other very fine metallic filings to fill in tiny pits and crevasses.

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
With Aussie burls i have never needed to even consider stabilised ones. To me stabilised blanks are a worry, necessary for BEB but never for our burl. I have cut literally tons now over the years, sounds to me always with problems it comes down to how dry you use them. I season mine in the roof space.

Peter.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
BURRs you Yankies will never learn :funny::funny:

Great deal, nice blanks, pick and choose which pen you want. If you want them on a slimline then do it.

These are great blanks but not at a premium price so it won't matter if you smash up a few practicing so that when you do get a "Premium" blank, you'll be ready

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The AussieBurls shorts are extremely good value and you shouldn't have a problem turning them if you have sharp tools, use a skew if you can and don't be afraid to stabilise as you turn, with CA.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When you see a real bargain buy these blanks. I really seek out top quality blanks and prefer them in every way, indeed cutting up your own burl is so wastefull.

Emphasis on sharpness is great but the angle of the sharpening requires thought as well.

Peter.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
They came this morning :drool: So I can sat they run a great service. I have no camera batteries just yet so pictures will follow. There are three chunks of wood which can be cut to make probably 5 maybe even 6 full pen blanks. Smaller bits could be paired to make a further 10 or so. Then comes the full length blanks of which there are 40, yes 40. So I would say I can easily get 56 pens from what Aussie burls say are scrap.

In terms of quality; I think they look really good however these are my first burls/burrs so I am not sure how they compare to grade A premium quality. They look comparable to others I have seen for sale just not cut square.

Would I buy from them again? Without doubt

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).