• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Axminster Precision Pro.

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
Thanks again for the considered replies, I appreciate it.

For several reasons I'm leaning toward the Precision Pro.
One reason is that although I may turn other items in future, it's unlikely any will be large.
The variable speed control is a must I think. I like the idea of the concentric hold on the collet. The lathe is small and relatively light. It's in my price range, especially since I'm VAT registered...

Skydivermel,
will the mandrel supplied with the Pro allow the use of all the different pen kit makers' bushings, or are there a specific sizes for the mandrel? (probably a stupid question, but better to ask)

K

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Sorry I am a bit late to the table here but you have already had some good advice.

In my opinion the precision pro is a very good lathe for making pens and other small spindle turned items provided they can be held between centres. Fitting a chuck other than the collet chuck already installed is not an option so any large work is going to be problematic though not impossible within the limits of the very small swing over the bed.

I was so impressed with the quality that I bought the test machine but I did so because it is useful to have a dedicated pen lathe which means I can leave stuff set up on my other lathe. If I were going to have only one lathe I would opt for something bigger and capable of having a chuck fitted. I think it would be unwise to limit your options with the performance pro unless you are absolutely sure you will not want to turn anything other than pens and small spindle work.

As for the bushes, yes, bushes from other manufacturers will fit the precision pro mandrel but as tolerances vary you may find a bit of play sometimes which can cause "out of round" issues. This is easily resolved because the collet of the precision pro will accommodate mandrel shafts from other manufacturers and replacement mandrel shafts are easily and cheaply available.

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
Thank you very much for the response. I appreciate it.

I do so many other craft related/art things that I think I'll be fine with pens for time being. If I do find I need to go bigger later, I'll have more money then :thumbs:

Is there a really good mandrel which you recommend to go with the Pro?

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Looking at that Manual it says the chuck only comes with one collet (6-5mm). If you do buy the Lathe it may be worth investing in a complete set of 13 ER20 collets, 1-13mm. These can be bought individually from Axminster but they are expensive. You can get a complete set from China on eBay for about £15.00. A single imperial 1/4" ER20 may come in handy as well.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Well I'm impressed with mine, but I did only really buy it for pens. The lathe on the right cost about a ton when it came out. It will kiss on both cheeks (hopefully I don't have to explain that one!:funny:)

The Axi was obviously a bit dearer but it can't make a better pen than the other, that is all to do with the user, it is however better made making it easier to use.
It comes with a mandrel and saver but it should be noted that the Axi Evolution set up is a slightly smaller diameter. Ive not had any problems with this rather than the spacer bushes and mandrel saver will not accommodate Planet products.
If you do use a different shaft in the collet chuck, you may also have to use a different tailstock centre.
DSCN4659_640x480.jpg

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Is there a really good mandrel which you recommend to go with the Pro?

The one that comes with it is fine for Axminster bushes and adequate for most others.

When I have a problem with loose fitting bushes I change it for a Planet mandrel shaft. If you decide you need to do this you will also need a 1MT Planet mandrel saver because, as Neil Lawton says, the Axminster mandrel saver will not accommodate Planet products.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Soon you will be turning and yearning for the perfect blank,then a method of squaring your blanks on the ends.Following this dust extraction heaven. Whether to sit or stand at the lathe. Temperature in the turning space. Which kit to buy. So many choices to make.

All of these can be assisted by looking in at a Wood Group in your area where you can see and hear first hand, great way to go IMHO.

Peter.

Skydivermel

First Name
Melvyn
Thanks again for the considered replies, I appreciate it.

For several reasons I'm leaning toward the Precision Pro.
One reason is that although I may turn other items in future, it's unlikely any will be large.
The variable speed control is a must I think. I like the idea of the concentric hold on the collet. The lathe is small and relatively light. It's in my price range, especially since I'm VAT registered...

Skydivermel,
will the mandrel supplied with the Pro allow the use of all the different pen kit makers' bushings, or are there a specific sizes for the mandrel? (probably a stupid question, but better to ask)

K

It's standard. I've not come across any bushings I cant use yet.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you're making a special trip it's best to phone first and see if it's in stock at the branch you plan to visit.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you don't already have some it may also be a good idea to get some microcrystalline wax whilst you're there. It's great stuff to keep the bed rust free and if applied to the paintwork helps to protect that from accidental spills as well.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).