• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Barrel Trimming

mkenny28

First Name
Martin
HI, I've had a search through some of the posts regarding barrel trimming, a lot of you use a disc sander to trim the ends. my question is how do you sort out the problem of residual glue in the tube. I use Z-poxy and it just seems to go everywhere!!!
I only have the standard 7mm pen mill and when it come to larger diameter pen kits I tend just hold the mill shaft as tight as I can to the side of the barrel and hope that its square. Then I use a drill bit as close to the size of the tube ID and wiggle it about a bit till the glue is gone and the bushings fit.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
When I first started I use to use potato to block the tube. Push the tube into a potato then clean off the outside glue and let se once dry I found that the potato also dried and shrunk making it easy to remove. But now I just take care when applying the glue and wipe any excess off before allowing it to dry.
If you polyurathane glue be careful as it can push the tubes out

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
I use a long 7 mil bolt and run it in & out of the tube. It doesnt matter what dia tube, but I glue with gorilla glue. I don't know how well this will work on epoxy.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I use Gorilla PU glue, it works for me! I have a small rats tail file that I run through, then the flue brush to clear the debris:thumbs::thumbs:

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
We use sheets of Beeswax (smooth) that were sold for candle making, they roll the wax around the wicks. Dental Base Plate Wax is basically the same. Push the tube into the wax, cookie cutter style, both ends and the wax stays in the end of the tube. When the glue dries cut the bit of glue and the wax out with a little knife.

Amazon.ca

Pete

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I plug one end of the tube with plasticine. I use epoxy and can’t say I have a problem with glue in the tube. I tend to just brush out with a pipe cleaner. I use a sanding disc these days but in the past I used a barrel trimmer and I turned some sleeves for larger tubes so that the 1/4 guide rod for the trimmer was central in the larger tube. I definitely prefer the disc method. Always found it hard to sharpen the barrel trimmer.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Pen mill fitted with 7mm shaft, glue wood on 7mm tubes and turn to fit other kits when using dense or oily woods with a quick touch on the sander if a bit off.
Transfer punches and sander on anything crumbly and deburr / remove excess glue with a standard orange handled craft knife.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Martin,
I use a half cut piece of stainless steel pipe, about 20cm long, that will fit inside all of my the brass tubes. I cut it that in half, length ways, (like a bowl chisel) and sharpen one side only of the curved edge. I put a handle on the other end, just to make it safer and use a twisting motion inside the brass tube and de-burr any glue that may have strayed inside the tube.
I use CA glue on all my brass tubes and do not clean the inside, so with an oily coating still left inside the tube, the glue peels off nicely. By keeping the pipe flat inside the brass tube, you will not shave any of the body inside and keep the correct inside diameter true.
Kelvin

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Inevitable situation,dammed if you do or don,t. I use Gorilla glue,potato blocking the brass tube,reamers and a 12 inch sander with 4 sets of punches to guide the blank in . For me its a help to :thumbs:part clean after the first hour of gluing.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).