• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

beall pen wizard on ebay

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I've just bought one of these last week s/h from a guy in Ireland or I would be bidding on this as Redcar is within striking distance. Hope I'm not cutting across anyone on here who's placed the only bid so far :thinks:
Ends at around 7pm this evening and standing at £89 is maybe worth a look for anyone interested. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131784449726

I haven't had time to use mine in anger yet but can see the potential if used within it's limitations.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I do fancy one of these....i would be interested how you get on with yours....:thinks:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Thanks for the heads up Bob. I'll keep an eye on this :thumbs:
But think it will be well over my budget by the time the auction ends :rolling:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I do fancy one of these....i would be interested how you get on with yours....:thinks:

I played with it a little just on a round scrap Mark and I can see the potential. It is very plastic and I'll do a little fettling but it works and I made some spirals and and octagon without too much trouble.The Guilloche attachment is missing from mine so couldn't try any wave patterns but the guy has found it and posting to me tomorrow. I used it with a Dremel 3000 but I also have a Foredom carving machine which I'll try so early days yet.

I know it's been slated by a number of people and I believe Walter did a review for a mag a while ago. I don't think it's worth the retail price personally but I paid 115 euro (£90) including carriage from Dublin and it's worth that to me I think.

There are alternatives Mark and not too difficult to make up something yourself to create patterns, in fact I dug out an old HD tile cutter with twin bars which looked ripe for conversion before I spotted mine in an advert.
I just like new gizmos! :ciggrin:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
WAtching this thread with interest I modified mine quite number of times the one pictured is an early model. If you are interested I have shown ages ago my mods but I can take some pics among the mods was a form of mandrel saver on the mandrel, extended threads on the mandrel to take additional locknuts, a solid base of laminated wood ,angle aluminium mounting to the base etc. I contacted Mr Beall in the USA re the woop in the winding shaft his reply was for the money he had to stop there, always meant to replace this with C and C shafting and bearings put it all in the too hard box for one day. I adapted a dust removing system. Then I made my own machine works for me that I have said before is too heath robinson to share cause of OH and S. Tell me how you really feel about the Pen Wizard as a machine.

Peter.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Well i took the plunge....i have a new toy....well in a week...so i will have a play and see what comes:thinks:
Thanks for the heads up again Bob...i was thinking saturday about takeing the plunge with Toolpost....so a little saveing was made:ciggrin:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Well i took the plunge....i have a new toy....well in a week...so i will have a play and see what comes:thinks:
Thanks for the heads up again Bob...i was thinking saturday about takeing the plunge with Toolpost....so a little saveing was made:ciggrin:

Enjoy Mark, maybe we can learn together.

I've just printed out an index sticker for the wheel but haven't had time to see if it fits. Used CD labels and software.

Peter!

Some of the mods might be of interest if you have pics. I'd already decided to replace the 2 brackets with aluminium angle and have made a mahogany baseboard

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Enjoy Mark, maybe we can learn together.

I've just printed out an index sticker for the wheel but haven't had time to see if it fits. Used CD labels and software.

Peter!

Some of the mods might be of interest if you have pics. I'd already decided to replace the 2 brackets with aluminium angle and have made a mahogany baseboard

Later on today our time mate new pics if I can.

Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
Glad i didn't see this yesterday, i just may have been bidding against you Mark .. :goesred: Looking forward to seeing some of the pens you two guys make .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My modifications beall pen wizard

A couple of my many mods to my Beall Pen Wizard.

Pics 1 and 2. RHS see the extended thread on the mandrel to allow true locknutting and my form of mandrel saver using a new threaded rod close hollowed to accept the mandrel. The screw threaded piece replaces the original pointed one, note the Knob locknutted for ease of use.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 47

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Forgot to mention my cobbled up dust xtraction from an old photocopier. White Plastic and water pipe fitting. Dont be fooled the machine spits out fine dust. Pic shows the RHS end of the mandrel extended thread on the mandrel and a black disk cut on a C and C then using mapping pins in colours to indicate stepping.

Peter.

Attachments

• Disk Identification Pen Wizard 12-19-2009 12-03-57 PM 464x489.JPG
    Disk Identification Pen Wizard 12-19-2009 12-03-57 PM 464x489.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 43

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Was in Redcar yesterday Bob, but don't have the readies maybe another time. Redcar and Hartlepool are my favourite haunts in England, to see the sea! I miss the west coast of Scotland.:sob:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Was in Redcar yesterday Bob, but don't have the readies maybe another time. Redcar and Hartlepool are my favourite haunts in England, to see the sea! I miss the west coast of Scotland.:sob:

A long time since I've been to either Bill but then we have Duridge Bay and right up the coast to Banburgh within easy reach.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I intended to reverse the set up on mine but was already done with handle on right and mandrel to the front.

Mods so far:
Mounted to a 30mm thick mahogany base with a strip fixed under the front so I can fit into my workbench vice.
Ali angle rather than the flimsy angle brackets
Brass knurled end fitted to mandrel tailstock
Template stuck to index wheel

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 32