• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

bench saw plate

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm very thankful to get an answer to my problem and to get useful advise as well. Thanks everyone I will now take over from my wife doing the sawing :winking:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Excellent Walter. I've had time to think over what everyone has said and I am now convinced that as you say the plate isn't as robust as it should be and my sawing techniques aren't or rather weren't that good. I realise why now the fence alongside the blade should only be used for ripping and bringing it back will still allow me to cross cut but without the danger of the wood being thrown and smashing the plate. Unfortunately I still can't put the riving knife back on when not cutting completely through the wood as I cannot see a way of making it lower than the top of the blade

Thanks again all for your help

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
The main purpose of the riving knife (apart from acting as a mounting point for the guard) is to prevent the kerf closing up and jamming the wood on the blade. If you are not cutting all the way through the wood then the kerf cannot (or at least is extremely unlikely to) close up so that should not be a problem.

Ideally you should be providing some alternative form of guarding when using the saw in this way but that is up to you, it is your safety. Just remember to re-attach the riving knife and guard before you go back to normal cross-cutting or ripping.

Walter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ah, yes I can see that now, I will use your advice and keep all my fingers. I just wish I could have had a sawing lesson somewhere first.

The main purpose of the riving knife (apart from acting as a mounting point for the guard) is to prevent the kerf closing up and jamming the wood on the blade. If you are not cutting all the way through the wood then the kerf cannot (or at least is extremely unlikely to) close up so that should not be a problem.

Ideally you should be providing some alternative form of guarding when using the saw in this way but that is up to you, it is your safety. Just remember to re-attach the riving knife and guard before you go back to normal cross-cutting or ripping.

Walter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Oh, and by the way, I've recently bought a 16" bandsaw.... standby for questions

I have read most of the manual though

:funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Oh, and by the way, I've recently bought a 16" bandsaw.... standby for questions

I have read most of the manual though

:funny::funny::funny:

:sadmo: I wish I had the space for one that size, with one that size you will be the envy most:wink:

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).