• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Best Small Lathe

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
When you fix the tail stock in place and wined in the quill are you locking it off also just a thought.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
It is a DML and I think it is the CL3 I am not at home to check, it could well be the bearings I have not checked them in fact I don't know how to.
It is only a chatter problem when using a skew or as I said the tungsten tip tooling especially when roughing also.

Welcome to the forum Jimbo. If it is the CL3 then it has an adjustable phosphor bronze bearing in the headstock. where the drive comes through the headstock casting there sre 2 locknuts one on the inside of the casting and one on the outside of the casting.. To access the the one on the inside you will have to remove the access cover on the top of the casting. Using a hammer and screwdriver loosen the nut on the outside by tapping in the slot on the nut. when it is loose go to the inside nut and tighten this one until you can't turn the driveshaft by hand and then back off the nut until the driveshaft can turn. Lockup the nut on the outside and that should do it. You need to get some oil as this bearing needs frequent oiling and the oilcap is visible near where the driveshaft comes through the casting. Snainton sell this oil along with a few other woodturning suppliers.
If you are still unsure go to the Record Power website and register with them (free) and under the support section you can download the manual for your lathe which shows you how to adjust the bearing. I hope this helps!!!!

Jimbo

Apprentice Member
Thanks guys
The tailstock is locked this is one of the things i hate about this lathe is the loosening and unloosening with spanners.

Jimbo

Apprentice Member
Checked it out it is an old CL3 they did not come with lever type releases for tail stock etc it was a nut that required a spanner. I downloaded the manual and I see how to adjust the bearing.
Thanks to everyone for giving advice.
Jimbo

Jimbo

Apprentice Member
I am in Barrhead, I don't think I will have a problem it Seema a simple procedure, I had just assumed that it was normal ball out taper bearings and never even noticed the oil feeder.
Are you in Scotland also.
Jimbo

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Down in Lesmahagow Jimbo. (j9 off M74 southbound)

Do you mean you haven't put any oil in the bearing before using the lathe ??
I know those with the phosphor bronze bearing need 4 or 5 drops of oil dropping in the bearing every time you use it. I assume the older CL lathes are the same & if so sounds like the bearing has gone, a new one could solve your chatter problem.

Let us know if you get stuck or need any help.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I use car engine oil, 5w 30, couple of drops every time I use it, keeps the bearing sweet.
Don't bother with Records stuff, far too expensive for what it is.
You may get away with dripping some oil in it now and see how it goes, might not have bu@@ered up the bearing yet.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I also used car engine oil on mine and had it for 10 years and sold it on in perfect working order if the nut system on the tail stock and tool rest banjo get on your nerves then Record do an updated repayment for all there old lathes and to be honest the old record lathes are far superior to the new ones in my eyes it would be worth just updating it once you have the other problem sorted please dont act to hastily by the sound of it you have a perfectly good lathe just a few teething problems also get in touch with Record they are more than helpful also speed genie do a very good variable speed for your lathe

Jimbo

Apprentice Member
Hi
Just got home for Chrissy and it is not that model with the oil bearing it has bearings and there is no play must be something else in my turning style that is causing all my problems.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sounds like you have the DML the bearings do wear on them the easiest way to check to see if they need replacing is to fix a large lump of wood to the face plate and try to wiggle it from side to side to see if you have any movement they to can be replaced quite easy if need be good luck

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Jimbo,

Saw your other post to Kathy in Leeds.

Didn't realise you were THE Jimbo from Pencrafts!!

Nice selection of kits by the way & always received great service.

Likewise young Steven I had my suspicions and was putting 2 + 2 together but was pleased to get it confirmed.

Have a great Christmas Big Jim, enjoy your stay before you go back mate.

Jimbo

Apprentice Member
Hi guys
Thanks for the good feedback, hoping to get some nice stuff next year,just waiting for some top up delivery just now and some new items also going to be supplying a better range of wood blanks.
Have a really Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year.
Jim

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I also had my suspicions big Jim thanks for getting my pen kits and tubes out to me last week talk about express delivery

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).