• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Best Small Lathe

Jimbo

Apprentice Member
Guys.
I think I know the problem with my lathe. As you know with the record lathe the bed is bolted and held tight by a bolt that goes through whatever base you are using, In my case it is two sheets of 15mm plywood and a 15mm sheet of MDF which is the top surface.
Firstly if this is not solid you will have problems with vibration.
secondly I needed a metal plate on the underside to reduce the compression of the wood and stopping me from getting the bolt really tight.
I fixed the plate and done a trial and I found the problem of chatter was reduced dramatically and I will now have to do the same at the tailstock end.
I would like to hear your ideas on what you are using as a bed for a record or similar lathe maybe I can get a better idea and a long term solution.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).