• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brass tube abrading

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Phil, so it matters not eh? Drat, I have just done loads of them! Meaning to place a small order with you. I heard C.A. glue was used for closing up wounds by our American friends in battle field conditions as a temporary measure. You are in a beautiful part of gods country!

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
When using epoxy which is mainly when gluing up segmented blanks I give the tube a gentle swip with some 320 grit as I have had segmented blanks break off & leave the tube clean & if I'm going to the trouble of making up segmented blanks 10 seconds abrading the tube is insignificant to the time the blank has taken to make.

I don't bother abrading tubes if using PU which I use on wood blanks as that damn stuff sticks to everything regardless :whistling: & I don't use CA :ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
ok Vic, as I said to Steven I will try not bothering. Meant to ask you, what adhesive do you use on your superb laminated pens?

Mostly med ca glue Bill but that only because I dont do large quantities anymore if I wanted to do a large pen run then I would probably go back to polyurethane glue

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
scots bill

Hi Doug, what is p.u. glue then? Not that I am stuck up, just there are so many to bog me down! Oops! just occurred to me, polyurethane? Yes but what is that exactly, I mean a trade name.

Last edited:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Ok Mark, I was using the quick setting stuff, take it you mean the ordinary? Or is there is another, stronger?

Hi Bill this s what I use, I buy the 200mL tube pack last me 18 months or so here, no problems with it in the heat.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...XDz9DtmatRfJpzbAg&sig2=-0o-55LDuazyfiuV08Yw5A

Here the four that are available here, the 90 second Araldite set in about 5 sec here.:vangry:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...xccnCyjkCY****Mxg&sig2=kHR6tp-vIr78Ds866QbE1g

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi Doug, what is p.u. glue then? Not that I am stuck up, just there are so many to bog me down! Oops! just occurred to me, polyurethane? Yes but what is that exactly, I mean a trade name.

I use Titebond PU http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=78b95323-a09e-45c2-b5ad-7ea90b13c6ca
I like it as it has the longest open time of any PU glue I've found, whilst this is particularly important for my work, clamping up is fraught enough without worrying about the glue on joints going off before everything is tight & square, it also means I can pour a little glue in a container & glue up numerous blanks & tubes before it starts to foam up.
I like to keep the time I open the main bottle down to a minimum & keep it well sealed to prevent premature curing, did I mention I'm a tight so & so :whistling:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Just use bloody sandpaper sit in front of the TV with a box and it take no time really

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Phil,
yes I knew you stock the big ape glue, as I mentioned I will put a small order in to you soon, slimline refills mainly. Thank you for the reply. Bill.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Doug, ok thank you. That sounds like the very dab. No shame in being thrifty. I live among Yorkshiremen and they are proud to be. Beat us Scots into a cocked hat, whatever that means!

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
The statistics so far are:

7 of you Abrade the tube before gluing.

4 of you don't abrade the tube before gluing.

Any more votes? :whistling: :funny:

I haven't counted who use Epoxy versus Polyurethane - someone else can work that out ... :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).