• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brian's Lathe Build

Brian Rutter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
Using Ohms law the motor specs you have posted doesn’t tally with that calculation Brian.

W divide by V = R

150\12 makes it 12.5 amp loading.

Every time I look at this I find contradictory, missing and confusing information. The loading figures come from one of the information sheets on ebay. I have used that calculation but did not believe it, I can run my electric oven with that.:rolling:

Additionally a 12.5Amp 220AC/12VDC power pack is a serious bit of kit.

My build is based on a lathe built by "Uri Tuchman" he is a guy I follow on You Tube, well worth a look he builds some wonderful stuff.

The lathe was originally powered by a treadle from an old sewing machine but he electrified it with the motor I have copied and controlled it with this

DC PWM Motor Controller Reversible 12V 24V 36V 40A Hochleistungs-Motor Drehzahlregler Schalter CCM6Ds-B: Amazon.de: Gewerbe, Industrie & Wissenschaft

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I can run my electric oven with that.:rolling:

Additionally a 12.5Amp 220AC/12VDC power pack is a serious bit of kit.

You can’t run the oven because of the voltage , :funny:

Seriously tho the calcs work and TBH I would run to those calculations as well as higher currents = higher temps and possibly buying twice!

It’s all down to the voltage. Likewise if you put a 150w 240v motor on VFD then that would run at less than 1A.

220v 1500w would be only 6.8A. So using a low voltage increases the resistance.

It’s worked since Mr Ohms did his calculations so if it was me I would follow those same rules.

So TBH if you got a 220v PWM controller with suitable motor then that would work but with lower Amps.

Brian Rutter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
Waiting for the motor and controller and the shed is full of bits so it is back to the kitchen table.

I started making the lathe tools, well I will make the handles and see where it goes.

I have much to learn and taking every opurtunity to try the various techniques I see here. So I thought I would have handles with a Celtic Cross.

All the instructions that I found asume that you have electric table saws, band saws, chop saws and a workshop the size of my house. Cant find any that tell you how to do it with a hand saw and mitre block.

The rolling pin was difficult to hold cutting the diagonal slots. So I made the rolling pin square again, it made life a lot easier.

First cut seems OK, hope the other 23 workout as well.:rolling:

handles 1.jpg

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I like using Ash for tool handles.

Attachments

• 28AC53AB-AE2A-4B53-9894-01F3DD0896DB.jpg
    28AC53AB-AE2A-4B53-9894-01F3DD0896DB.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 41
  • A87408F8-4A36-4444-AEF6-2412ECB84412.jpeg
    A87408F8-4A36-4444-AEF6-2412ECB84412.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 43

Brian Rutter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
The Power Pack and the speed controller arrived and everything worked. I am happy. :banana::banana:

Speed Controller, rev counter, cooling fan all working.

I added the sanding station, the disk needs dressing but will do that when the belts and pulleys are installed and the disk actually goes round :wink:

I am pleased with the sanding disk I only had to spend £5.00 for the sticky backed velcro and a couple of sanding disks all the rest from the really useful box.

Digital Inclinometer is a bonus

Sanding Station Added 1.jpg

Sanding Station Added 2.jpg

Sanding Station 3.jpg

Sanding Station 4.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Inclinometers are unknown to me for this purpose and a variable exists as the stones I use diminish,like the scary sharp method you have chosen.

Peter.

Brian Rutter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
It works:banana::banana::banana:

I found an old chisel in my dads bits and pieces and tried to put an edge on it to make an Elf. The chisel gave out and was worn away by the beech rolling pin and then I cracked the PomPom on the top of the Elf's hat, I dont care lots of time to play later. The picture is just to prove that it does work :winking::winking::winking:

Max speed 2200 RPM, will add another gear and speed it up a bit, I have lots of tweaks for me to do and keep myself busy while I save up for some tools and pen bits.

My budget took a hit yesterday, I got a bill for £21.00 from FedEx for import duty for the chuck and their handling fee on top. :sob::sob::sob:

failed elf.jpg

Brian Rutter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
Not part of the lathe build as such but an essential part of the process, I found some second hand tool holders for a couple of pounds each, put a new carbide tip in them and added a pound shop rolling pin handle.

I reckon about £8.00 each or £40.00 the lot. Pleased with that:wink:

tools.jpg

Had a bottle of shellac in the shed, must have been there a good few years( keep my fingers crossed)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).