• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Burls by the half-dozen

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
Hi all!

I just made a little collection of burl pens. From the left : thuya, jarrah, locust (visiting a friend, I noticed a few bumps on some of his fire wood logs, I jumped on the chain saw...), briar (from an old stock of ebauchon blocks for pipes), and fruited mallee. All of them based on a Jr Gent kit, RB or FP. Just polished and oiled.
What is easy with burls, you don't really have to make sure the grain is flowing from top to bottom...
100_1096.jpg

Last but not least, I could not resist to make a pen with some aussie wood I got as a prize in the recent closed-end contest. To begin with, I choose some red mallee (I think) with CA finish. I had to show you this one!

C & C very welcome.

100_1097.jpg

100_1090.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There is a continuous ad on TV here always finishes with now you know. This also applies with Aussie timber. The other pens you made include one as well. Your pens individually and collectivel are excellent.

I believe I could make up and show up to ten pens of one tree species of Aussie burl and you would never connect them.

For some years I worked with the Australian body responsible for definitive identification of Australian trees they had to have leaves, nuts, fruits of juvenile and adult trees before they would do close up or micro examinations of the timber, then they would name them. I have only met and know one man in Australia personally who has the intimate knowledge to accurately name timber in Australia.

Some are very old friends such as Brown Mallee, some have distinctive aromas such as Huon Pine. Also I can understand the price your prize winning timbers are not named because at that price it would be a burden to name them one by one and cost a lot more.

My mate in Australia used to name one in a block of many, I noticed recently he now stamps them individually. He only sells about ten different timber burls. Good luck.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just looking again at your pens getting an additional fix looking at outstanding pens in pic 2 the pen reflected shape is that of a toe in the sapwood. LIke it.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).