• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bushes or Bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Birds nest in the bushes.

Shafts and such spin in bushings.

Some yank here decided to use the term "bushings" for the metal spacey sizer thingy doodads a long time ago.

You Brits had to be different and call them "bushes". Revenge for the colonies being revolting or some such.

Class dismissed.

Pete

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Singularly it is a Bush, the plural is bushes. God knows what a bushing is?!

Just a couple of examples. There are though plenty of UK companies that get it wrong.

E1-B460-B9-616-B-403-A-9427-CB364-ECF55-BA.jpg

93620-E8-F-024-F-44-EB-97-A3-0-E19115-ED816.jpg

As the Industrial Revolution started in Great Britain I expect the very first Bush was likely invented - and named here. :wink: :funny:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Bush is a noun. Bushing is a verb and is the act in the present tense of using a bush to, well, bush something. Therefore bush is a verb as well as a noun.

As clear as mud, eh?

Translate is also a verb. Translating is the act in the present tense of trying to decipher the utter nonsense into which the Americans seem to delight in turning our language, (whist at the same time trying to claim that we got it wrong in the first place)

(oops, did I say that out loud?):devil:

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
As I always tell my American colleagues at work, it's called English Language for a reason, therefore if I write or spell it it's correct if you think it's wrong, you are! :tongue:

Padster

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Bush is a noun. Bushing is a verb and is the act in the present tense of using a bush to, well, bush something. Therefore bush is a verb as well as a noun.

As clear as mud, eh?

Translate is also a verb. Translating is the act in the present tense of trying to decipher the utter nonsense into which the Americans seem to delight in turning our language, (whist at the same time trying to claim that we got it wrong in the first place)

(oops, did I say that out loud?):devil:

"Darn tootin" you're right :thinks:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
When I'm teaching I say "These are Bushes or Bushings depending who you talk to, but life is too short for this petty tosh!"
Same with the CA / Melamine finish twaddle. I show how to do both when people book full pen turning courses and let them make their own mind up, as I do with drilling on a pillar or the lathe!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
When I'm teaching I say "These are Bushes or Bushings depending who you talk to, but life is too short for this petty tosh!"
Just a bit of fun Neil, just a bit of fun.

I'm going to close this thread however, as I have every respect for our American colleagues, many of whom are members here, and I don't want this thread to descend into something it shouldn't be. At the end of the day you're right though. Bushes or bushings? Who really cares, and after all, we ALL know what we mean, whichever word is used in whichever country.

Status
Not open for further replies.