• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbide tipped tool

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I suppose I must be one of the supposed experts then? :winking:

Whether it has a "name" is irrelevant. If it is up to the job then fine. If it looks good but flies to bits and takes your hand off with it , then not so fine.

Is the bit of kit you have bought off ebay fine or not? who knows, you will find out in time if it keeps doing the job. Good luck with it.

Jim

Grand Master
My feelings are that ... If i make something for my own use to use in my own shed then it doesn't hurt anyone's coffers ... :ciggrin:

Can i just add how well that debate went ... :thumbs: On the edge but well held .. :ciggrin::ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Walter and I have been here before and we both know how easy it is for a debate to go into tilt so we doth I think have tried our best to avoid that happening nether of us want to fall out or upset anyone just because we view things differently this forum is big enough for more than just one opinion and we value other peoples opinion even if it is different to our own that's how we sometimes find out we are wrong
We are both stubborn ol git's but I'm sure we can live with that LOL

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
My feelings are that ... If i make something for my own use to use in my own shed then it doesn't hurt anyone's coffers ... :ciggrin:

Can i just add how well that debate went ... :thumbs: On the edge but well held .. :ciggrin::ciggrin:

Jim I agree with you and I make stuff myself. I don't expect Craig Jackson's lawyers or Mr Sorby's heavy mob to be coming after either of us any time soon. Or after Woody for making stuff to sell to his mates at not much more than what it cost him (if that). We are no threat and we weren't going to pay their prices anyway so we cost them nothing. (This is a personal opinion - the law would say different but I am not going to lose any sleep over it)

Making copies of stuff to sell on a commercial basis is a different matter because it is ripping off both the customer, who thinks he is getting a quality product on the cheap and the genuine manufacturer for all the reasons I have unsuccessfully tried to explain to Alex.

There is also the potential risk of someone getting hurt. I wonder if the guy who makes these has product liability insurance. At least if one of Craig Jackson's tools puts my eye out as it flies to bits I will have someone to sue.

As for the debate well Woody says it all:

Walter and I have been here before and we both know how easy it is for a debate to go into tilt so we doth I think have tried our best to avoid that happening nether of us want to fall out or upset anyone just because we view things differently this forum is big enough for more than just one opinion and we value other peoples opinion even if it is different to our own that's how we sometimes find out we are wrong
We are both stubborn ol git's but I'm sure we can live with that LOL

Well said Woody. :thumbs:

slim shaver

Registered
Only just joined this forum and all I can see is old fish wives debating whether one tool is better than another. I say put your money where your mouth is - buy see what you think - before you start to berate his skill. I have bought and tried and from what I can see he is not trying to rip anyone off or copy anyones tools. He is just trying to make an affordable tool for fellow woodturners. Rant over no wish to be a fish wife..................

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well if having a friendly debate among friends makes me a fish wife then so be it as for putting my money were my mouth is I don't see why I should buy a tool no matter how well it is made or not that I am more than capable of making myself and save myself a lot more money also seeing as I actually stood up for your man and his tool I think your general summery and comments are very unfair and offensive

Also most that have made comments have stated there opinion which we are all entitled to have and discuses without being called names which is something someone below average intelligence is likely to do

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Only just joined this forum and all I can see is old fish wives debating whether one tool is better than another. I say put your money where your mouth is - buy see what you think - before you start to berate his skill. I have bought and tried and from what I can see he is not trying to rip anyone off or copy anyones tools. He is just trying to make an affordable tool for fellow woodturners. Rant over no wish to be a fish wife..................

Welcome !

Not a spectacular start to your participation.

Yours is but another opinion, all are entitled to theirs.

How you express your opinion is what matters, I'm sorry to say your method doesn't gel with the overwhelm g spirit of this board.

That's my rant over.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed

Hi dim shaver

It appears to me that from the wording of your introductory post and your tone of phrase you may have a vested interest in the afore mentioned item.:thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Dimshaver, the tools you make and sell on ebay, it is you who makes and sells them isn't it? :tongue: are very cheap compared to named brands. I thought they were good value for money on the face of it, but quite honestly having thought more about it, the way the shafts are fixed to the handles leaves a lot to be desired and if you have skimped on that, what else have you skimped on. What is the metal you have made the shafts from? Are the carbide inserts genuinely rated or are they Chinese rejects?

It's good that you have come here to defend your tools, perhaps if you could answer the few questions above we could have a full and frank discussion about the quality of your tools.

Look forward to reading your answers.

Peter

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex

maybe you should read the post we were only having at debate about it no one is say it is a rip of really but i think the way you have gone about this and as it your first post i think you my have a vested interest in this product

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess

& there was me thinking I'd had a bad day...........chill Slim Shaver baby :phew::phew:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
As Alex has pointed out this is your first post and to come in all guns blazing and saying we are fish wives seems a bit strange ,
It is just opinion it is not meant to offend anyone it encourages people to voice their views and yes we may stray off the subject sometimes in some posts
but its all just a bit of fun' so dont pre judge the members we are a good bunch of honest friendly helpful blokes ,OH and welcome.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I doubt veruy much that we will see him again now he has been in here to defend his tools. :funny:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
To be honest forum friends,, its not worth rising to his comments, least said soonest mended..

The more you comment the more likely this person will come back..

We know we have freedom of speech on here and can get in to some serious debates that we can all agree to disagree.

If they can't then they are better off being ignored..

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
To be honest forum friends,, its not worth rising to his comments, least said soonest mended..

We know we have freedom of speech on here and can get in to some serious debates that we can all agree to disagree.

My sentiments entirely Eamonn. Well said!!!!!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

I would welcome him to come back and answer the questions about his tools. If he can answer truthfully he will probably get a resounding recommendation from a UK group that has members using named brand tools. If he can't allay our fears about his tools then hopefully we will have dissuaded newbies who would otherwise have bought his suspect tools.

Does anyone remember what his ebay identity is? I have mislaid it, it would be a shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I would welcome him to come back and answer the questions about his tools. If he can answer truthfully he will probably get a resounding recommendation from a UK group that has members using named brand tools. If he can't allay our fears about his tools then hopefully we will have dissuaded newbies who would otherwise have bought his suspect tools.

Does anyone remember what his ebay identity is? I have mislaid it, it would be a shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Peter

I understand where you are coming from, but this thread was started by Maurice as a tool that he had tried and found to be reasonable as you see by the response that Maurice had come back with.

You could pm them on here to see what response you get, but in my opinion you will only be poking an hornets nest..

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I understand where you are coming from, but this thread was started by Maurice as a tool that he had tried and found to be reasonable as you see by the response that Maurice had come back with.

You could pm them on here to see what response you get, but in my opinion you will only be poking an hornets nest..

I could PM, but it won't happen, he made a public post so I think it should really be played out in public. I don't really think he will come back to answer any questions. I saw Maurice's post.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).