• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbide tipped tool

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Recently it has become fashionable to copy expensive tools then search for cheap cutting edges by price and inclination this engenders discussion about these products both originals and copies. I prefer the comments based on actual users of different tools with comparisons following turning with them.

Use of words and wording is a personal choice and governs our behaviour. It seems in our hobby often you make quick choices and have like me a great collection of so called magic chisels that end up in a corner later on.

Having fun with my methods and as english is my second language being several generations Australian init.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wooo Hooo. Slim Shaver, wow what an entrance, I am all for blunt speaking but I think I would struggle to upset the whole membership.
NOW BOG OFF INIT?

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
as alex has pointed out this is your first post and to come in all guns blazing and saying we are fish wives seems a bit strange ,
it is just opinion it is not meant to offend anyone it encourages people to voice their views and yes we may stray off the subject sometimes in some posts
but its all just a bit of fun' so dont pre judge the members we are a good bunch of honest friendly helpful blokes ,oh and welcome.

wow.......

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
On the subject of behaviour in the 80,s in Frankfurt and Stuttgart the guys from the former created havoc so much so the Americans inspected all their vehicles using a mirror on wheels searching for bombs booby traps etc. When I got to Nthn Ireland Enniskillen the gates were locked either end of town big proceedure checks etc cause of the Troubles. During the second world war in Australia the Americans were oversexed and over here, I understand the brits when the fleet was in spent quite some time looking for their sweethearts, girl friends and sometimes searching cars for their family and friends.

Now on the forum we have to be careful WW3 does not break out over misunderstandings I would rather be sure than sorry. As a photographer when divorce had to be proved the old saying with fellow photographers was dont shoot till you see the whites of their thighs.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Pendragon

Apprentice Member
As mentioned earlier, I have some of these tools and still happy with them. On another thread there seem to be a number of people wanting the round profile carbide inserts and in case it helps this company do them at a very reasonable price:

Carbide Inserts Turning Tools Grooving Tools Carbide Boring Bars Threading Inserts Associated Production Tools

If you look for the inserts for aluminium you can get a range of profiles. I have never used carbide tips before but I must admit that I am enjoying the experience and, surprisingly, I have found that the square profile is really useful. From the ridiculous to the sublime I have decided to chuck out my crappy oriental bench drill and am getting an ancient but beautiful Meddings drill - my aim is not only to turn something that looks round but to give myself a head start by drilling a straight hole in the bloody blank!

Pendragon

Apprentice Member

Yes these are the ones. I got some 12mm round and quickly found they b********d my bushings as they turn these as well as wood! Must be more careful. I tried them with Corian last night (making a Fairy Wand for my 30+ year old daughter who is convinced her mum is a pixie) and it worked a treat. Just applied brass polish to the wand straight from the lathe and it came up beautifully. I am in favour of anything that makes my work look good!

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Blimey, I missed all the excitement in this one, must have nodded off. I see dimslim shady hasn't returned, certainly knows how to light fuse, step back & watch don't he!!

As for the home made carbide tools, I'll stick with the homemade ones of Woody's & Brian's & the Sorby one the wife bought me.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).