• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casket

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
A friend popped over to the workshop today & whilst always great to see him it was also a little sad as he bought along his late Father in Laws ashes in order to make a casket.
I took a few photos as we wood worked away & though I'd share.

This is the making of the raised top a hand planed chamfer on English Oak.

IMG_1643_zpscqjamjrb.jpg

A dry fit assembly to check the fit.

IMG_1645_zpsqaplqglc.jpg

With the handles & plaque fitted & the Major safely ensconced inside the casket was glued together.

IMG_1647_zpsu5rl9o8k.jpg

The casket was finished simply with wax ready for its final resting place.

IMG_1648_zpso2pbqt8b.jpg

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Nice bit of work though sad circumstances.

I made oak caskets for both my mother and father and they were the most difficult pieces I ever made, far too emotional.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A fitting piece of workmanship for a man who served his country. Well made Doug.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Such a beautiful piece to work on in such sad circumstances. I can't think of a better tribute or resting place.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That is the best looking casket I have ever seen well done Doug a true craftsman

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I used to do a lot of work for the Royal Logistics Core, back in the day when I mended musical instruments. Their band used to claim they were always late for functions because the transport never turned up on time. The irony.

That's a beautiful casket Doug. Such a paradox in making such a lovely thing to never be seen again.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).