• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chestnut friction polish

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
I have just got a tin of Chestnut Friction Polish and noticed is says you don't need to use sanding sealer. As I am about to run out of sealer is it necessary to use it and if so which is the best fast drying one.

Glen:thinks:

cookie21

First Name
Barry
Friction polish from any company is not worth the time & effort, it shines when you put it on, that shine lasts about as long as your smile, after that it looks like shit IMHO

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well for the last 30 odd years I must have been doing something wrong I always apply a minimum of 2 coats of S/S regardless then about 6-8 coats of Friction polish then as many coats of woodturners stick as needed till I am happy with my finish and this is were a lot of people fall short proper application but today one or two coats finished no wonder it dont last long also each of my buyer is instructed on how to care for there pen and this is were a lot of people fail some turners print an aftercare sheet how ever did we manage before the days of super glue and spray finishes

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I am in the same game as Woody on this one. A couple of coats of sanding sealer then build up coats of friction polish followed by woodturners stick and finally I give em a coat of microcrystalline wax. :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Like a lot of finishes there is more then one way that it can be applied, just because one person applys it one way doesn't make any other method of application wrong, just different.

I've yet to read any finishing method that replicates the way I finish my pens, I've been doing it my way for years & am happy with the results & longevity of finish but I don't presume anyone else's method is wrong, just not how I do it.

That said I'm always interested in reading what others do & am always happy to try other things, that's how we learn. Keeping a positive open mind is the key.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).