• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chuck/Jaws question

Chisel_Wizz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Graeme
Howdy Folk,

Apologies for the newb-ish question, but thought it better to seek your opinions.

When the Mrs bought me a lathe (Jet 1015vs), she included a chuck that was out of stock (axminster clubman sk100).
Since I'll need to be drilling the blanks on the lathe, I've been looking at their jaws and not really sure which one would be best.

I noticed the pen blank drilling jaws on turners retreat, but as it only says they fit the Robert Sorby Patriot & Supernova chuck, I'm unsure if it would fit the Clubman.

Would I be better off looking for suitable jaws for the Clubman, or getting a different chuck altogether?

As for the drill end, I'm assuming this is what I'm after? Axminster 13mm Keyed Chuck & B16-2MT Arbor | Axminster Tools & Machinery

Thanks for the help :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
If you can afford it buy a dedicated chuck with pen jaws such as the the Vicmarc through Timberbits it is superb. If you choose to drill on the lathe.

Peter.

Chisel_Wizz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Graeme
Thanks for the reply,

In the description of the link you provided, it states that they are supplied as standard with axminster chucks, so that answers my questions nicely! Thanks again

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hang on, hang on, hang on Graeme. I believe I'm right in saying that the ones supplied as standard with the chuck are the ones to take Axminster jaws. If you want the ones to take sorby (nova) jaws you'll have to buy them in addition.

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
In my opinion buying a chuck is a big decision I would do quite a bit of research first and think not only what you want to turn now but also in the future and also think about weather you will upgrade your lathe in the future so a direct threaded chuck might not be the best idea I am not trying to throw a spanner in the works mate just trying to save you a bit of cash in the long run

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
You may not need to buy the pen jaws if you turn the blank between centres first. What I do is carefully mark the ends of the blank and then turn it between centres. Once round the blank then fits in the standard jaws on my chuck for drilling. There are lots of pen turning "tools" out there that you don't really need if you think about it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).