• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Closed End Pen Mandrel

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I asked Jim to make it unavailable for the top 4 posters as they are the ones who will slag off my tutorial and find lots of mistakes, sorry guys :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Here is a link to it

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ta Peter, I clicked the link and downloaded a pdf rather than just let me look at it I now have it on my pc init?
Bloody crazy pc today I looking in shed on the cnc pc and it opens the pdf as a jpg in gimp,
Well I must say sir you have done a great job of that tut, well done.
I thought to start I was looking a skiprats pin chuck tut it is so similar.

Take that as a compliment to be compared with him init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thats exactly the same as my old boxwood mandrels which I have made another one this morning for a Jn gents we used to call them pin chucks and use them for making pepper grinders as well

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
They still are called pin chucks dad, don't use em myself but they work whether wood plastic or metal init?

Jim

Grand Master
Nope it aint not there for some strange reason every thing else is but not tutorials have to wait for Jim to sort it but thanks for trying to help

Everybody saying what a great tut it is and no link anywhere. I can't find it,

I thought it was just me as I have been searching everywhere for it !!!!:sob::sob::sob:

Come on guys, i am sure if you take a good look you will see it .. :whistling::whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Ta Peter, I clicked the link and downloaded a pdf rather than just let me look at it I now have it on my pc init?
Bloody crazy pc today I looking in shed on the cnc pc and it opens the pdf as a jpg in gimp,
Well I must say sir you have done a great job of that tut, well done.
I thought to start I was looking a skiprats pin chuck tut it is so similar.

Take that as a compliment to be compared with him init?

I used skiprat's tutorial for am o-ring or pin chuck when I made my first one out of stainless, I have made many since then and changed it for me, the flat I put on is much smaller if I remember correctly, it doesn't make any difference to the holding of the blank and there is far less filing needed to be done. I haven't copied his tutorial, it's how I make it, thanks to learning how to make one in the beginning from skiprat. I did post a link to his tutorial way before Jim asked me to make a tut, but I hope I have made it so that it is simple and in-depth enough for people to follow.

Thats exactly the same as my old boxwood mandrels which I have made another one this morning for a Jn gents we used to call them pin chucks and use them for making pepper grinders as well

I think skiprat called his a pin chuck, but to me a pin chuck is one of these

I did say in a post that I think you and Brian used to make them out of wood and that people should ask you about them, I haven't seen anyone ask unless they did so via PM.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Now that I have seen it I think I will print it off and keep it in a file that I have!! Cheers Peter !!:thumbs:

Don't file it away, make one, if you don't have one you won't be able to enter the competition and stand a chance of winning a life changing sum of money.

A great PDF Peter will keep it for future reference:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

You too Derek, get making one ready for the competition. I guarantee anyone who enters will stand a chance of winning a significant amount of money.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
No they haven't ask Peter and I dont think they will yours looks the business mate and will last a lifetime mine will last as long as I want it to because I will probably only make a few closed end pens I did managed to see your tutorial in the end and I must say it is spot on I would probably have made mine like that if I still had me metalwork lathe well done mate

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Nobody has asked me either Peter, And yes that is the original pin vice as used by watchmakers for nearly as long as Woody has been in long trousers init?

The link type called such because of the use in holding pins. These because they have a pin in the construction.
Whatever you wish to call it it is your work and a fine tut mate.

Looking forward to seeing this compo and dissecting the rules as to whether it has to be a pin chuck or the closed end pen that will be judged, maybe both so I spose I had better make one.
There are many ways of making closed ends and a chuck is not required at all for some methods init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nobody has asked me either Peter, And yes that is the original pin vice as used by watchmakers for nearly as long as Woody has been in long trousers init?

The link type called such because of the use in holding pins. These because they have a pin in the construction.

Looking forward to seeing this compo and dissecting the rules as to whether it has to be a pin chuck or the closed end pen that will be judged, maybe both so I spose I had better make one.
There are many ways of making closed ends and a chuck is not required at all for some methods init?

So its of the the iron mongers for some Raw bolts type fittings ay Brian

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

The rules will be whatever I decide:funny:but to be honest I was thinking a closed end pen, no matter how you get there, certainly not the mandrel/pin chuck, but I wonder if it should be tied to a pen kit like the Omega as that will rule out those who don't buy kits:devil: and it could help boost Dan's sales, or just any kit or no kit at all.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The rules will be whatever I decide:funny:but to be honest I was thinking a closed end pen, no matter how you get there, certainly not the mandrel/pin chuck, but I wonder if it should be tied to a pen kit like the Omega as that will rule out those who don't buy kits:devil: and it could help boost Dan's sales, or just any kit or no kit at all.

Peter
Will these do LOL :funny::funny:
010.JPGDSCF0985.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).