• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Commenting on work

What do you do when commenting on work

• Say it is nice just to be polite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I allways try to be positive and correct in my views and always "try to treat others how i would like to be treated":whistling:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I will often compliment the workmanship then point out that I don't like it but that's personal taste.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If there is something that doesn't look right, I will question it, but there are a few princesses who take it as an assault, I now never comment on those princesses who only want their egos stroked.

I would prefer people are honest when they comment on my work, if they see something that isn't right that I have missed or am too lazy to do properly then I am happy to have it pointed out to me, it's then my choice to up my game or just stay mediocre:funny:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If I dont like something I increase my medication then everything looks good :funny::funny:
Seriously first it depends whos work I'm commenting on as some can take it when you go straight to the point for newbies I try to sandwich my comments

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
If I dont like something I increase my medication then everything looks good :funny::funny:
Seriously first it depends whos work I'm commenting on as some can take it when you go straight to the point for newbies I try to sandwich my comments

Up your meds!!! You and Smiffy too:funny::funny:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Personally, somewhere in between what Woody and Peter have said.I just wish that more people would join in and say something
It's not unfamiliar to see a post having 90+ views, but on receiving 11 comments. Come on guys join in, we don't bite (well only on a full moon) :rolling:

And it would be really nice to see the "prima donnas" who post pictures of their work and never comment on anybody else's work comment on the rest of our efforts :whistling:

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
I must say I am quite surprised by the number of comments like "It's a cracker Joe!", or Tom, or Jerry, given to pens with defects. It is very common in France to point out what is wrong, questionable, odd or just subjectively unpleasant (with kind words of course) to give Joe, Tom and Jerry an opportunity to see his work with somebody else's eyes and use somebody else's opinions - or not - to catch the opportunity to make better pens. There are a few princesses as everywhere, but usually criticism is seen as a help.
"When in Rome, do as Romans do", so I must say I don't comment as often as I would be inclined to. Maybe I should, taking advantage of my foreignness. Your opinion?

But I definitely would LOVE to read more analytical or critical comments on my pens, spread the word gentlemen! That's why I am here for.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I started this just to see people reaction to the questions I set.

I for one enjoy having people point out things that I may have overlooked. As some know I will say what I see and I also know that those I have commented on their work realise that I am doing so in a constructive way.

After all I post my work to let people see what I am making as well as get comments on it so that I can improve (well hopefully)

I believe that we should critic each other to help encourage us to improve as long as it is done in the correct way. it is a bit daunting for new comers to the hobby to come onto a forum and show their work thinking that people will laugh at them, well don't be afraid we all had to start somewhere.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Comments good or bad are one of the reasons that I post my stuff on the forum and sometimes even ask for comments/criticisms. It's all part of the learning for me..and boy do I need to learn.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
There is a convention on the WWI forum that if you only want praise, just post the picture and description. However if you want honest appraisal from your peers, add "Comments and Critique welcome" or C&C welcome to the end of your post. It seems to work well there, and stops the "nicely turned, lovely finish" banality that often appears here.

That way, those with a fragile ego need not have it bruised, and those who seek genuine appraisal can get it, as long as they are capable of interpreting it (someone with only a little experience is likely to appraise differently to someone who has been making pens for many years) and as long as they are prepared to shoulder any criticism without tears or histrionics.

Above all, in all cases politeness and tact should still prevail however.

Personally , I rarely comment on pens here because I find it difficult to judge what people actually DO want from their posts. Many just want an audience, which is fine, some want to improve, which is fine, some want to share, which is fine, and probably other reasons too. A simple posting convention to indicate what they want would solve the problem

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Personally, somewhere in between what Woody and Peter have said.I just wish that more people would join in and say something
It's not unfamiliar to see a post having 90+ views, but on receiving 11 comments. Come on guys join in, we don't bite (well only on a full moon) :rolling:

And it would be really nice to see the "prima donnas" who post pictures of their work and never comment on anybody else's work comment on the rest of our efforts :whistling:

Chas, those prima donnas want their egos stroked, they only post their pens or other stuff because they think they are perfect, they don't really want comments about how their finish is not quite right or the colour combo is a bit weird. The response to a query is sometimes that the photo makes it look like that, well take another photo to show that it isn't like that, it's not rocket science.

I think it would be better if people who post their pens state that comments are welcome or that comments are not welcome:thinks:

Peter

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
The reason I like this forum so much is because you all are not bashful to point out what may be off or that you don't like the particular pen. It's very refreshing.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: I'm a big boy, I can take it and not feel threatened.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I feel you can sweat this too much when I joined the site I sent in and commented on everything my own way and with hindsight I have done it ever since Looking at every entry I can. I do not feel over nastiness is around so much as it is with some other forums. Chin up guys just give us the best you can I do.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
For items like a turned bowl you can't do a proper critique over the Internet. The guy at my club firstly picks up the bowl and weighs it in his hands, he then works his fingers over the piece. He then looks at the design and the finish his fingers couldn't pick up. He may even on rare occasions smell the piece as well. You can't do all that over the net. Photographing objects to get a really accurate representation of it piece can be incredibly difficult at times.

Some folks need a "well done, that's nice" and there's nothing wrong with that. Reasonable comments about the piece can provide needed encouragement as long as you don't try to get too arty or serious about it.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
I love getting positive comments about my stuff (who doesn't), but equally I would love to know what people don't like, or what is wrong with what I have done.

I don't tend to comment too much on others, as I often don't have much time to trawl through all the great posts here - I barely have time to get my camera out and take pictures, which is why I tend to do a few at once when I do!

I do really appreciate seeing the work that people do though - it can give you some wonderful ideas!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The survey questions do not cover much really too narrow. My impression gained from people who receive gift pens is totally different from our forum approach anyway, what sends people into raptures is in the eye of the beholder and personal likes or dislikes in Australia can be as simple as in Tasmania for example light coloured timbers repel they seek deep coloured burl, on the mainland can,t get enough of the lighter timbers.

By now our newish seller from Aus could give us a comment on this re the attitude of buyers over here and the UK since he sells in both arenas. For myself no rules let me choose how and when I comment not to over analyse it.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I do not think I am qualified to critique other folks work being quite new to the hobby and the only way I have learned is either advice from here or u tube I do not attend a club with like minded folk locally. I do say if I like some work but do not post a lot of finished articles and if I do would hope to be kindly pointed in the right direction if it is not right.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).