• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Commenting on work

What do you do when commenting on work

• Say it is nice just to be polite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I must say I am quite surprised by the number of comments like "It's a cracker Joe!", or Tom, or Jerry, given to pens with defects. It is very common in France to point out what is wrong, questionable, odd or just subjectively unpleasant (with kind words of course) to give Joe, Tom and Jerry an opportunity to see his work with somebody else's eyes and use somebody else's opinions - or not - to catch the opportunity to make better pens. There are a few princesses as everywhere, but usually criticism is seen as a help.
"When in Rome, do as Romans do", so I must say I don't comment as often as I would be inclined to. Maybe I should, taking advantage of my foreignness. Your opinion?

But I definitely would LOVE to read more analytical or critical comments on my pens, spread the word gentlemen! That's why I am here for.

Not enough hours in my day to analyse the impressions I get when viewing a new object on the forum. Schooling made me ultra critical of most everything ,certainly to be aware. Not intimidated by race or creed rather grateful to see and learn. Our daughter in the USA returned home to Utah last Monday on Tuesday they bought two kittens. I mention this because she looks so forward to sharing our cats over the long years. She went away also with a heap of pens for her family as well, has all of my bowls etc she can carry on her annual visits.

From intensive family history I learn I have a French ancestor thanks to Napoleon who brought families into Germany one guy married a German lady and emmigrated in the 1840,s to Australia on my Mums side they were my grandmas parents. Without going on and on the Scottish name family with Irish, English grafted in tells me to say it as it is, no room for lies a wonderfull oportunity to share.

Love the forum and pens in particular, got fired up with seeing pens made from fish leather as well as others new to me. Bought lots of things to create with.

Peter.

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
I must say I am quite surprised by the number of comments like "It's a cracker Joe!", or Tom, or Jerry, given to pens with defects. It is very common in France to point out what is wrong, questionable, odd or just subjectively unpleasant (with kind words of course) to give Joe, Tom and Jerry an opportunity to see his work with somebody else's eyes and use somebody else's opinions - or not - to catch the opportunity to make better pens. There are a few princesses as everywhere, but usually criticism is seen as a help.
"When in Rome, do as Romans do", so I must say I don't comment as often as I would be inclined to. Maybe I should, taking advantage of my foreignness. Your opinion?

But I definitely would LOVE to read more analytical or critical comments on my pens, spread the word gentlemen! That's why I am here for.

Why pick om me (Tom)or Jerry or even Joe what's wrong with Sid or Bert or Arrie :whistling::whistling::whistling::fart::fart:

apw43

First Name
Andy
I must admit I am guilty for not commenting on peoples work but it doesn't make me a prima donna, having only been turning a couple of years I like many am on here to share the pieces I make, and to admire the excellent pieces on here from more experienced turners. I have learnt lots of useful things on this forum, to receive comments good or bad is fine as it will help me and others to improve our techniques. :thumbs::thumbs:
all the best
Andy

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I show off my pens because I believe that people are interested in other people's work, I am very interested, some works inspire me, encourage me to do brave new, bold things. The majority of what I see are well turned and finished pieces, and I say so. Some people never comment, some people only comment on a select few of members work, and some post pictures of their work, but never comment on other efforts. When I post pictures, I expect honest comments, and I believe that's what I get. :tongue:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I show my pieces because you guys can see any faults better than me & you all know why so I like honest opinions so I can right any faults & further hone my skills.
We all have a little bit of vanity & it's nice to share our work with our peers.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I find it difficult at times to comment on things that I don't like on some of the pens that are shown. People have very different views on what they do or don't like.

On many occasions I have made pens that I did not like and they have been first to go at a craft fair

:thinks::thinks:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I find it difficult at times to comment on things that I don't like on some of the pens that are shown. People have very different views on what they do or don't like.

On many occasions I have made pens that I did not like and they have been first to go at a craft fair

:thinks::thinks:

Very true Vic We used to sell a lot of photo's at craft fairs and other outlets and I remember getting a long lens back from Canon after it had been sent to be calibrated well I put the lens on and walked outside and the nearest thing walking about in the snow was an old Ewe so tested the lens on her just to see if there had been an improvement. My wife liked the picture and said try selling it at the next craft fair and I said who wants to buy a picture of an old Ewe in the snow since I sold a lot of landscape and wildlife pictures and went to a lot of effort to get them. Well that picture sold more than any other picture we ever tried to sell and still sells I guess one mans meat is an others poison.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have a tendency to comment on pens that I like but not on pens that I don't like. There are kits that I dislike but the turning is spot on and therefore do not pass any comments on these either. If a newcomer posts a photo of a pen that is not up to scratch I will often give a good comment as encouragement rather than criticise as I would hate for that person to give up pen making due to a comment.
Photography is important when posting pens as a bad photo or the wrong background presentation can ruin what is potentially a great pen. When I started my photos were cr*p but I got advice on taking photos from Buckeye (Peter) and gradually I progressed to showing better photos although Peter used to give me a lot of stick for showing blue tack which I laughed at but took on board.
There are some superb pen turners on this site and long may it continue !!!!:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).