• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dip finish

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Walter,
I don't use Oil based Wipe on Polyurethane.
I use Water based Polyurethane.

Les

Thanks Les. It is available here in the UK but at a price. Ouch!!

Amazon.co.uk: Minwax water based polyurethane: DIY & Tools

Gloss and wear would be my priorities. I'm willing to put in the work to achieve a top finish. I'm trying to find an alternative to CA as I get a severe reaction from it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think either polyurethane or acrylic would be hard enough wearing to withstand daily use. Acrylic is used on car bodywork and polyurethane on wooden floors.

As for the highest gloss, again it would be hard to tell the difference without some kind of measuring instrument such as a goniophotometer. I doubt if the difference would be discernible to the human eye.

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Thanks Les. It is available here in the UK but at a price. Ouch!!

Amazon.co.uk: Minwax water based polyurethane: DIY & Tools

I think either polyurethane or acrylic would be hard enough wearing to withstand daily use. Acrylic is used on car bodywork and polyurethane on wooden floors.

As for the highest gloss, again it would be hard to tell the difference without some kind of measuring instrument such as a goniophotometer. I doubt if the difference would be discernible to the human eye.
Thanks Walter that helps [emoji5]

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Derek have you tried melamine lacquer? It's quick, easy and gives consistently good results. You're not far from me and are quite welcome to call if you want a quick demo mate

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Derek have you tried melamine lacquer? It's quick, easy and gives consistently good results. You're not far from me and are quite welcome to call if you want a quick demo mate
Keep thinking you are in Yorkshire! Yes not that far. I might take you up on that. I've got some melamine, do you think it's as durable as CA, polyurethane, acrylic? [emoji846]

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Keep thinking you are in Yorkshire! Yes not that far. I might take you up on that. I've got some melamine, do you think it's as durable as CA, polyurethane, acrylic? [emoji846]

Seemed a short journey from Cheshire mate, go visit and become skilled in one thing at a time.

Generous offer Keith.

Peter.

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Well bunnings and Stratco do not stock it.:vangry::vangry::sob::sob:
It's great isn't it, we get the same story over here with things. That's why everyone is migrating to Amazon and the high Street shops are closing down.

DJB Penmaker

First Name
Derek
Amazon is like a train wreck to local businesses.

Peter.
I know, that's also what I said earlier it's had a devastating effect on the High Street here as has internet shopping in general. The trouble is we all want access to everything available on the market, quickly and cheaply and no one high Street store can offer that. We are all to blame in some way. Where do we all shop now - supermarkets- and look what that did to local butchers, bakers etc etc

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Amazon Is Coming To Australia In 2018.:thumbs:

Steady on, you'll be getting mobile phones next. :whistling: I'd pass on the Diesel car fad though, they've finally worked out here that the exhaust fumes are killing people ... :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).