• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dipping Method

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thought I would share this with you guys.

I have heard and seen Les Elm method of dipping and I was interested in the fact of getting away from CA as a finish,.

See the link here of the method. http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/minwaxfinish.pdf

Just for your info this is not the fast drying finish, that Les recommends as they wouldn't post that overseas.

So I purchased some and after around 3 weeks of waiting for it to arrive my grandson had made a couple of pens he wasn't happy with and said he would rip them off and start again, so rather than waste an opportunity I used one as a dipping method trial.

Results are below.

eucalyptus-02.JPG

eucalyptus-01.JPG

I am impressed by the quality and the look, its looks as good as CA finish in my opinion.

The Pros are its water based and doesn't seem to have any effect on me and doesn't really smell that bad either.
The finish looks as good and I sure the durability should be as good.

The only cons on this is the time and fiddly to get the finish, waiting for them to dry. in the UK temps I found that I had put the first couple of coats and it dried fairly quickly , but to do this in my opinion would need an overnight dry-out.

All in all if you have the time in my opinion its worth a try and I will use it again when I have a few pens to do to see how it goes on and if I can get a method together to speed it up or make it simpler.

Again, the big Pro on this is you don't have to put up with the smell and fumes of CA.

All in all thanks Les.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have found the wipe on Poly not as effective as the one Les uses. All finishes ship rather than fly an agent in your country will be found. The same restrictions exist on CA fix.

Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
Always good to hear and see other finishes Eamonn, thanks for sharing .. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I'm after ditching CA too,in all honesty I am going off trying to make my woods look like shiney plastic and am now looking for a decent semi gloss type finish for all my wooden pens.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Thanks for that Eamonn, it would be nice to use something else with the same durability and the desired finish.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'm after ditching CA too,in all honesty I am going off trying to make my woods look like shiney plastic and am now looking for a decent semi gloss type finish for all my wooden pens.

Give this a try Ed it is good and quick to use you will need a few practice runs but worth it for a tough satin finish Craft Coat / 2oz - Water Based Exotic Wood Finish - Craft Coat - Finishing Products - Shop
I gave it a good test last year chucking the finished pen about on me workbench for about 6 months and it still looked as good as the day I finished it in fact I sold it

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
That link is for my old poly wipe on method.
Here my my latest version of my Pen Finish Dipping Method:

Les

Attachments

• Pen Finish Dipping Method - Revised 03-26-2016.pdf
    204.4 KB · Views: 7

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
Thought I would share this with you guys.

I have heard and seen Les Elm method of dipping and I was interested in the fact of getting away from CA as a finish,.

See the link here of the method. http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/minwaxfinish.pdf

Just for your info this is not the fast drying finish, that Les recommends as they wouldn't post that overseas.

So I purchased some and after around 3 weeks of waiting for it to arrive my grandson had made a couple of pens he wasn't happy with and said he would rip them off and start again, so rather than waste an opportunity I used one as a dipping method trial.

Results are below.

View attachment 27766

View attachment 27767

I am impressed by the quality and the look, its looks as good as CA finish in my opinion.

The Pros are its water based and doesn't seem to have any effect on me and doesn't really smell that bad either.
The finish looks as good and I sure the durability should be as good.

The only cons on this is the time and fiddly to get the finish, waiting for them to dry. in the UK temps I found that I had put the first couple of coats and it dried fairly quickly , but to do this in my opinion would need an overnight dry-out.

All in all if you have the time in my opinion its worth a try and I will use it again when I have a few pens to do to see how it goes on and if I can get a method together to speed it up or make it simpler.

Again, the big Pro on this is you don't have to put up with the smell and fumes of CA.

All in all thanks Les.:thumbs:

Eamonn,
The Wipe on Ploy is Oil Based and takes a lot longer to dry than the Water Based I use.

Les

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).