• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dipping Method

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Sounds good. Do we have to use expensive US products

No we don't however I did try the Johnstones one a couple of years ago when I first heard of the "dipping method" from Les.

However i didn't get the results that I did with this stuff. It also states that you can use minwax for floors so is really heard finish.

I know some will say why does it need to be that hard wearing? Well to be honest I don't. However if it's good enough to walk on then it should be good enough to put in pens.

However I would be interested if anyone else is up for trailing others to see what they think..

Having said that you can just use Acrylic spray and have it done in no time at all, with some waiting time to dry but not as long as polyurathane .

Then again, the spray finishing and the fumes off them does cause some problems.:blah1::blah1:

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
If the wood is an oily species it will take longer to dry that non oily wood species.
The MINWAX WBOM Poly I use over here in Alberta on non oily wood dries in 20-30 minutes.

Les

Attachments

• MINWAX.jpg
    MINWAX.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 49

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Mine was on English eucalyptus Les,n(10 years drying) don't think it's recognised as oily but may be wrong.

Others I tried it on was Ash as well.

Skil Phil

I use a product made and developed here is darkest africa.
Woodoc 10. An easy to use wipe on poly. Leaves a durable finish which can be gloss or satin depending on the finishing method.
The UK agents are:
Contact persons: Oliver Hill
Tel# +44 1223 655 686
Fax# +44 1223 280388
Email: info@woodoc.co.uk
o.hill@woodoc.co.uk

They have more products for other applications, All great in my opinion.
Worth the try.

Phil

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Masters over here had such a good range of finishes but they are selling out of the business Woolworths the other half has pulled the pin.

Peter.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
I use a product made and developed here is darkest africa.
Woodoc 10. An easy to use wipe on poly. Leaves a durable finish which can be gloss or satin depending on the finishing method.
The UK agents are:
Contact persons: Oliver Hill
Tel# +44 1223 655 686
Fax# +44 1223 280388
Email: info@woodoc.co.uk
o.hill@woodoc.co.uk

They have more products for other applications, All great in my opinion.
Worth the try.

Phil

I picked up a tin of this at the show Sunday ..... watch this space :winking:

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Woody, I have just bought a 2oz. Bottle of Craft Coat, please could you tell me how best to apply it?
I thought I'd give it a try.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Please explain further. Road transport is just as dear. All our mail. Comes by road any way.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Living in isolation has its clear benefits. Mark I know from my son in law who does even more travelling than you in so many remote places including yours that even basic foods have an added cost attached I have been thinking when people like Dave and Joanne come through your way they may be able to bring some stuff for you. Is it an advantage to get deliveries to Alice Springs where your family live you are there every month. Would this save you money?

Since Carbatec took off from here years ago we have to order out for most things. I have never forgotten a parcel I sent overnight arrived at yours in a few days a rare exception.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).