• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Double knot.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
You never know until you try. You might be on to something. Next one spread them further apart so the circles just touch. I've had brilliant ideas that turn out real duds.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
You never know until you try. You might be on to something. Next one spread them further apart so the circles just touch. I've had brilliant ideas that turn out real duds.

Or move them close together so one becomes the shadow of the other maybe.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The knots look tight, so well done on that account:thumbs:I think closer together would look good as Dave says, the shadow.

Peter

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
John there are so many ways to do knots and you just have to try all sorts of things, there's nothing wrong with the knots in fact they are perfect as knots, keep trying mate until you are satisfied yourself even on scrap timber, very nice effort ..:thumbs::thumbs:

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Thank you all for your comments, I will as suggested try different distances, it will be fun as always. :thumbs::thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, John,

A really nice outcome! However, I agree with your opening comment, or maybe put one on the cap as well.

Bob.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
I see what you were trying to achieve and quite frankly well done because you made the centre and you got the alignment precise so technically 10/10 . The others were talking about aesthetics where one knot is out-doing the other (the yellow is more prominent than the red) and so there is a conflict. What I suspect you really wanted was a 6 or 8 sided Celtic knot which you could have done in the same mixture of colours and which would have had a much greater impact. (Just make a 6 or 8 sided blank first then slice and insert alternating colours).

One other element is that I would have put the knot on the cap and knot the body; the pen closed makes a statement, the pen open and writing doesn't need distractions close to the nib whereas when it is on display and closed it needs to say 'I am quality' to the other party. Its all in the message that your customer wishes to impart to his/hers audience.

Just a couple of thoughts.

PG

Last edited:

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Once again thank you all, Pierre, I did think long and hard as to where to put the knots, "cap or nib" I will play around with different locations, distances and colours. It's always good to know, whatever we turn be it pens or other things, that what comes off the lathe is unique, there will only ever be one, and you made it. :goesred:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When you say this is the pen I made and it is unique. Simple fact and on that basis your pen is finished. Future suggestions were invited and given,added to your own the next one could be a ripper as well.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I like the pen and well done for thinking differently as far as Celtic knots are concerned John. A very thoughtful reply from Pierre and others so look forward to the next pen.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).