• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drilling pen blanks

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's not critical if there is enough meat on the blank to match the diameter of the part it will butt up to.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Dead centre is aim one except when the interest is on one side. Bear in mind as you turn the grain moves. The aim is to always have some safe extra.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I always start with a centre drill but as Terry says the drill will shift off centre but this depends on what make of drills and how long the drills are as the longer the drill bit the more flex you will get and you can only push so much of the drill in the chuck i.e I find I get a far more centered and straight hole with a Dewalt 7mm extreme 2 HSS than the colt HSS 7mm pen drill it is a case of suck it and see.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Depends what your drilling as Jim said it is imperative with segmented blanks so it is best to always try for dead centre otherwise you can become sloppy with your work

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just like anything mate it is right or wrong depending on which effect you want. Care is needed across the grain, laminated blanks, Ebony, Snakewood and beware of complacency. Holding the blanks at the drill press requires flexible movement via Vees in the Vice jaws to allow setting up to get the best results. If you cut blanks or buy them in the lathe drilling can give most accuracy using blank jaws or four jaw chucks for holding.

Peter.

mattkemp

First Name
matt
Take all of the above in but the thing I do is take care and plenty of time when drilling because if there is break out of the end of the blank it reduces the meat to the edge of the bush when turning and can you could turn it very thin but a sharp drill bit will reduce this with time and care hope it helps

Cheers

Matt

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Times two for Extreme 2 drills I still allow a little for exit but a breakout is rare. Fabulous bit life. Recently using larger sizes cut like butter.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).