• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dust collection advice needed

stiofanpadraigcrafts

Graduate Member
First Name
stephen
Hi guys, i need some of your knowledge here as i want to improve my work space. I'm looking to get some sort of dust collection system that will be able to hook up to my lathe, a small bandsaw, scroll saw and pillar drill that i currently use. I had a look on axminster but i am not too sure exactly what to get or better to go elsewhere. I currently have a spare bedroom turned into my work space so i want to keep dust to a minimum then i will try and sound proof the wall between me and the neighbours. Any and all advice is welcome.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Check this out Stephen. http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/18240-bedroom-dust-extraction.html

some advice that might apply to your good self..

Some links and advice of which ones to use.

Difficult due to noise travel through the walls and floor.

I would go for a fan and bag type rather than a Vacuume one myself as they run at a lower frequency noise level that may not effect others in the area.

That's my thoughts....:thinks:

stiofanpadraigcrafts

Graduate Member
First Name
stephen
Check this out Stephen. http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/18240-bedroom-dust-extraction.html

some advice that might apply to your good self..

Some links and advice of which ones to use.

Difficult due to noise travel through the walls and floor.

I would go for a fan and bag type rather than a Vacuume one myself as they run at a lower frequency noise level that may not effect others in the area.

That's my thoughts....:thinks:

Thanks eamonn, i found this which uses an impeller system ( which i assume is fan type) and its got good reviews. Obviously would also need to get hosing and piping setup as extras.

Record Power CX2000 830m3/hr Dust Extractor & Chip Collector 240V | Dust Extraction | Screwfix.com

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I wouldn't recommend any specific dust extraction or filtering system as there are so many variances.

The record stuff has a good reputation and should give you good service life.

You may come across a comment at times that it can't be used for dust..:thinks: yes, it's real you may see that in the instruction, if you decide to read them of course.

It's all down to the filtration of the area as the filter systems for that type of extraction doesn't tend to be supplied to filter out any of what they call small particle matter. ( PM10 and below.) that is why very often there is a cyclone fitted to reduce loading to the fans and improve filtration performance.

There is a modified filter cartridge that you can use but you will loose some performance on the airflow. Nothing that you would struggle with tho. Just means cleaning it out more often.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
In my experience, I find nigh on impossible to extract shavings coming off the lathe as they fly in different directions depending on the tool and the direction of cut. You'd need such a large collection hood it would make it awkward to get to your lathe. Dust collection when sanding on the lathe is perfectly possible. As others have said, some chip extractors don't filter down to fine enough particles. Fine sanding dust is as small as 0.5 micron. Large chip extractors may only go down to 3 micron. Some allow you to fit a fine particle filter but I found them very expensive. I just use a Camvac type vacuum with a posable tube and small hood and I only turn it on for heavy sanding. The rest of time I wear a mask for sanding. :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Here you present four differing requirements The lathe needs a great suction to capture all, concentrate on the fine stuff.

Bandsaw needs two collections on at the table or under, one below. Takes a lot of suction.

Scroll Saw the deadly fine nasty stuff at the blade area and table under and above.

Drill is a bit like at the lathe concentrate on the fine stuff.

All Vacuums suck with noise. Why household, industrial, outside etc all command attention.

Good luck inh the house mate I have enough probs in the workshop.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).