• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

effect of Brexit

Jim

Grand Master
Lets see if they drop when the £ starts to increase once again ..

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Good job I'm not planning on buying a Jet lathe then :rolling:
I did consider on but it's now between an Axi trade series or a Record Power :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Life is like this the swings and roundabouts of currency in particular it is a market in itself.

Hope it settles down soon here the excuse was the double dissolution of Parliament, Brexit, American Politics.

Peter.

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I would imagine Axi ,Record etc will follow suit in the near future,and I doubt the price comes back to where it was in the event of the pound recovering

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
We already pay more for most things than they do in Europe, cars are a prime example. Axminster prices are fixed for a year so they shouldn't be putting prices up. Don't buy from anyone who puts the prices up, they make enough profit to weather the fall in the Pound, let their investors take the hit, it would make a change.

Peter

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I think a lot of prices will go up because a lot of the trade deals with Asia were done in partnership with the EU now the UK has voted for brexit all these deals will remain with the EU but as far as the UK is concerned these deals will have to be ripped up and renegotiated again on an individual basis which will take time which is why the market is so fraught or will be. Reading the posts on here I get the impression that I am the only person to vote remain which I will probably get flack for but I feel I have voted with my head and not my heart. I did not listen to politicians which I felt were woefully inadequate on both sides with stupid threats and inconclusive arguments but listened to the experts.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I voted Leave and I too listened to the experts, I voted that way because I think it is the best for my country. The deals won't be ripped up overnight we have at least two years of negotiations. The deals we get in the future should be better than the deals we have had with the EU in control as long as we play hardball and don't roll over. We will get even better deals with China as the EU limit the deals with China and the same goes for the US if we arrange tariff free deals with the US, we may be able to import kits without having to pay the fees we are used to at the moment. I am sure the pound will rebound when things settle more and the likes of junkers and sturgeon stop pouring petrol on the situation.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
They will all try using Brexit as an excuse to increase there prices this would have happened whatever way we voted I said this would happen and it will the politicians will use it as an excuse to make more cuts and blame it on us whatever way we voted and businesses will use it as an excuse to up their prices and the same thing would have happened if the vote went the other way

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I voted leave Bob, but it doesn't matter to me what you voted for, i felt leave was right for me, and no doubt you thought that remain was best for you. It was a democratical vote and i would have accepted the defeat had the voting gone with remain. As a country now we should all accept that we will be leaving the EU and start working on developing a new UK. All the energy spent at the moment by those fighting for a re-election and marchies done up and down the country by the people not accepting the vote is certainly not helping the cause.

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I notice today the Jet 1221vs is £802 now it was £729 before and £60 less with the offer that was on,glad I bought mine at Harrogate last year

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
We already pay more for most things than they do in Europe, cars are a prime example.
Peter

I disagree, cars are cheaper in the UK which is why I buy mine there, the equivalent Ford, Honda etc for example are up to 30% dearer in France (and that's buying to continental spec as well) when you buy a car in Europe, it may have the top spec name but all the extras are extra!! And I buy all of my woodworking tooling in UK because again the prices are about 30% dearer over here; this is based on 15 years of living and working all over Europe. Fuel and alcohol are cheaper here but that is only because of the extra UK taxes which will never be reduced whilst they provide money to the treasury.

PG

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I disagree, cars are cheaper in the UK which is why I buy mine there, the equivalent Ford, Honda etc for example are up to 30% dearer in France (and that's buying to continental spec as well) when you buy a car in Europe, it may have the top spec name but all the extras are extra!! And I buy all of my woodworking tooling in UK because again the prices are about 30% dearer over here; this is based on 15 years of living and working all over Europe. Fuel and alcohol are cheaper here but that is only because of the extra UK taxes which will never be reduced whilst they provide money to the treasury.

PG

HI Pierre,Things must be dearer in France then as I have often bought items from Germany as they were 15/20% cheaper than here.A wivamac lathe was almost £1000 from Germany but they kept referring me back to the UK retailer which I dont think is legal,single market and all that.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I watched this video which persuaded me, its a bit dry to watch but full of information relevant to trade in the EU the thing I did not know was how unique the free trade agreement was compared to the rest of the world we will now be left with the WTO to trade with. It will take about 2 years for the divorce settlement to complete with Europe and about an other 12 years after that before full implementation will take effect during which time we will be in flux and one thing markets do not like is flux. Living in Scotland I can see what European money has done for us up in the highlands in terms of infrastructure i.e we have a good road network thanks to EU money which if not in the EU would have probably been spent on the south if left to Westminster we paid about 7.5% to the EU and got about 13% back so not in our interest to leave. I would not be too hard on Nicola Sturgeon she is only trying to stick up for the people of Scotland that surely is her job and what she was voted in for.

Professor Michael Dougan on the EU Referendum - YouTube

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
well here is an example

Tour a bois 6 vitesses Woodfast par Record Power Offre unique.

DML305-M33-PK/A Cast Iron 6 Speed Midi Lathe, M33x3.5mm thread, 2MT spindle, with RP2000 chuck

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Currencies | Sterling GBP v Euro EUR

So in UK the lathe is 299.99 at the exchange rate quoted above ie 1.195 that is 358€ and you will see that the lathe is being sold in France for 449€ with a 22.8% discount!!

Wivamac... same shop is here 404 error - Maison Du Tournage take your pick.

I don't often respond to the BREXIT debate because I used to be an international negotiator between NATO and its member nations for the only aircraft that it had, and so I know a bit about trade deals etc and the quid pro quo that gets involved. Let me assure you that notwithstanding what the politicians say, any trade deal will involve free access of each nations' nationals even if it is only on a bi-lateral basis and if there is a points system introduced then the Nation with which we wish to deal will impose its own quid pro quo of either higher tariffs or a points system which will make it more difficult for the UK to go into that country and do the dealing. So in effect the migrant problem will remain, only the nationalities will change over time.

In September my wife and I are going to Paris for a weekend it has cost 127 euros return for the 2 of us of which the return leg is in first class its the same journey as London to Edinburgh I wonder if you could do the same in the UK? I have aload of examples but not enough time to cite them all.

PG :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).