• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Errrr.... how hot should it get?

KevinMc

Graduate Member
First Name
Kevin
Hi ... I was playing today and trying to turn some “ Cabbage Wood” which after looking it up seems to be some New Zealand tree..

Anyway as the shaving were coming of the were “*`”# hot.

Was I doing something wrong or is that normal?

Kevin :banana::

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Probably the Baby Elves curse since thats where babies come from under a cabbage bush. Never heard of this material mate waiting for the pics.You realise of course there is incredible competition between Australia and New Zealand the land of the Hobbits.We have just finished the Ashes here in cricket, similar feelings of competition. Its a beautiful country,reminds me of the UK,very fertile heaps of rain,densest area of sheep anywhere.

Peter.

KevinMc

Graduate Member
First Name
Kevin
Probably the Baby Elves curse since thats where babies come from under a cabbage bush. Never heard of this material mate waiting for the pics.You realise of course there is incredible competition between Australia and New Zealand the land of the Hobbits.We have just finished the Ashes here in cricket, similar feelings of competition. Its a beautiful country,reminds me of the UK,very fertile heaps of rain,densest area of sheep anywhere.

Peter.

Apparently...it’s..
Cordyline australis, commonly known as the cabbage tree, cabbage-palm or tī kōuka, is a widely branched monocot tree endemic to New Zealand.

It’s. Beautiful grain.. Although as I have started I see a bit of an issue with a split in in I think so having a re-think on what I do..

Kevin :banana:

Attachments

• 279E16C7-2CE7-4FFA-992A-AC5D9984FA25.jpeg
    279E16C7-2CE7-4FFA-992A-AC5D9984FA25.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 51

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
If a wood is very dry it can appear to feel very hot when turning it but if you stop the lathe and touch the wood it is normal temperature, this is quite normal

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).