• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Even more dip pens!

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Here's the latest batch, three segmented oblique dip penholders, turned today. As always, constructive criticism welcome.

DSCF8306.jpg
DSCF8294.jpg
DSCF8292.jpg

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
They all look great but the third one stands out to me. Is that GPs/Kirinite White Ice Acrylic?

I'm curious how the nib holders are attached, is it by a simple slit and glue in, or is there a more complex assembly hiding there? I'm presuming there's no entry hole as there's no requirement to fit/attach anything in there?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Angelo, Thanks very much :-)

Greg, Thanks! Yes, it is the GPS blank. And yes, the flange is attached by gluing it into a slot cut into the resin. Many penmakers also put a small pin in through the back of the penholder to hold it in place, but I don't do that (I figure that if the glue fails it's much easier to glue it back into place than if it has a pin also holding it). I actually used to make them so that they were removable, with no glue involved - a thin piece of wooden dowel is inserted into a hole drilled down through the end of the pen holds the flange in place - but that also has issues and doesn't look as nice.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Three beautiful pens, especially the second one for me. Your turning seems excellent & your knowledge about the type of pen you make is remarkable.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).