• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Craft Fair

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Thought i would give you all a laugh. I did my first Craft Fair, it was in a village hall and we had to be there at 9am to set up. The fair started at 11am (yes i know why so long)

I left at 2.30 with out selling a thing, paying a tenner for the table and about eleven people came in !! I have seen more activity in a cemetery!, coupled with that we were freezing. It is one i will not attend again.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Been there done that....your not alone...oh you were!!! Oops i'll get me coat:funny:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Yep, I'm like the others. Paid out a lot of Wonga for nothing. At the wrong sort of fair you wonder if you've caught leprosy the way people avoid you and your stall! Can I suggest that you start making a diary of your fairs? This should include date and times, whether well-supported or not, was it well advertised, costs you incurred to attend the fair (stall cost, parking fees, fuel, etc.) and how you did selling your pens. You should also consider if you could have done better in making your stall attractive. Were your pens illuminated? Did you just bung them in a heap or display them at their best. If you keep at it this diary will serve as a useful reference next year and so on, particularly if you make personal comments for each entry. My diary has been going for five years now and has become a good reminder whether to book or not book a venue. I personally never attend boot-fair type markets where folks expect stuff for nothing. And if it rains you are stuffed, because you get wet and more importantly, so will those pens you previously spent hours buffing and polishing! However, there will always be bad days, no matter what you do so be philosophical about them and hope for better next time. BUT, if you're always having bad days then you should take a closer look at your product and ask yourself - are they what folks want? Would I (you!) buy one? I hope you have better fortune next time out, Ken!
Regards,
Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Oh, yeah, another sound reason for keeping a diary is this one:
Two years ago I was invited to attend a fair organised by a guild of actors, poets and playwrights. The organiser was looking to utilise the rooms in this function hall that wouldn't be needed for readings and acts and seminar, and my name was one that he happened to be given. I wasn't very optimistic because most of the attendees would be in-house, with only a limited foot-fall from the public. It was a two-day event as well, which doubled the costs, but I accepted the invite anyway.
Sure enough, virtually the only viewers consisted of these performing arts folks, so I was expecting low sales. Boy, was I wrong! The organiser bought three pens, his assistant bought two, and others in the guild between them bought four more. Now, these pens were in the £25.00 range so you can see I'm talking useful dosh here. I left for home that evening pleased that I'd had a very good day, but not holding out much hope for tomorrow, seeing as how the same people would be attending.
When I got there next morning the organiser was awaiting my arrival. He wanted another SIX PENS! (Yes, obviously I gave him a very good discount, which is another thing to consider doing in order to cement good customer relations.) See, when he got home and showed everyone his pens they all wanted one, and he became the family buyer, so to speak. And so it was with several of the other attendees. They too came back looking for more, and I was only too happy to oblige.
The point of all this to underline the value of keeping a record. All the facts quoted here I got from my diary after putting up the last post. One final point: You should ALWAYS make a special note where someone buys more than one pen - that person may buy a dozen but is only ONE customer. So, instead of being led astray in a couple of years time and seeing how much dosh you made at so and so event, your note will be there to remind you that most of it came from a single buyer, and that you are unlikely to repeat that success!

Bob.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Sound advice from Bob - I would add that another factor to record on your diary is the weather. The very best fairs can turn into a dismal failure if its pissing with rain all day. They can do the same if its blistering hot.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When we had our Photo Studio I found that monthly turn over was a handy indicator. As in all business transactions, income V expenditure.

Peter.

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
Know how you feel mind you they know that you are there and may buy next time :pray: £10 seems a lot for a table, i only pay £5. May be worth telling them that you lost money and next you will pay them 5% of your takings, worth a try. :thinks:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Tom,

Jeez, Tom, I ought to move down west - the average price I pay is £15-£24, depending on time of year and venue.

Bob.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Same up here Bob £15-£30 for a table except if it is in the local community hall might get it a bit cheaper then. Some of the Game fares are £200 plus and you hardly sell anything just a load of tofts wandering around speaking as if they have a mouth full of marbles. You will only do this once.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
When I done fairs I always had a good mixture of items for sale not everyone wants a pen by not having a mixture you are letting potential customers pass you by

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Like Woody I have a good selection of wood turned items as many have seen in the photo's I posted. I did a stall at the Woodfest here in Kent myself and the wife had a 3mtr X 3mtr marquee which cost £50 for the two days yet there was a large marquee not far from us and a 6ft table was £30 per day, it just goes to show what some are charging

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Same up here Bob £15-£30 for a table except if it is in the local community hall might get it a bit cheaper then. Some of the Game fares are £200 plus and you hardly sell anything just a load of tofts wandering around speaking as if they have a mouth full of marbles. You will only do this once.

LOL, Bob!
Yeah, I've been caught once and, like you say, lots of horsey people. I didn't do too badly but it's still a bit risky. A drop of rain and they stay indoors. I reckon Woody is right in what he suggests - it wouldn't be a bad idea taking some other turned stuff along in case it's not a pen they're looking for.

Bob.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Well done my second one and what a difference, right from the opening at 10am till close at 3pm there was a steady stream of people coming in. A lot of the time it was packed.
The organisers were so friendly, i will be going back there. I was also asked to attend a Christmas Fair as well.
I was a very happy bunny at the end of the day

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).