• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First failure.

Midnightlunchbox

Registered
First Name
Craig
Tried some casting today, it didn't go well.

I want to do some encapsulation of bits and bobs so I used epoxy (as you can see)!a simple plastic box as a mold and thought I'd try a Lego figure (just for fun). Into the vac chamber it went. It seems you have to degas the stuff several times and all was going well until the resin really started to cure then it went into the big mess you see. I'm assuming a different resin would work better? The epoxy has cured a minky yellow ish colour, not the crystal clear I hoped for. Not a happy bunny :sob:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 66

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I use Polyester resin Craig, seems to disperse the majority of the bubbles itself, get back on the bike...:thumbs:

Midnightlunchbox

Registered
First Name
Craig
Yeah I wondered about polyester, might try that. It's gutting when you've planned and prepared for weeks and it goes (•)(•) up on the first go!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I did not think that a vac chamber would be suitable to do this, surely a pressure pot would have been the answer along with careful mixing

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Was that resin supposed to be water clear. For enclosing items polyester is probably the best/cheapest solution.

Peter

Midnightlunchbox

Registered
First Name
Craig
I didn't want a vac chamber and a pressure pot so I looked at what I was most likely to use hence the vac chamber. The choice of resin probably has a lot to do with it. So polyester is the way forward then?

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
You can use epoxy resin, but you got to have water clear to cast objects

You will still get bubbles with polyester

More research and reading required

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).