• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Forum timed out - what to do to solve it.

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
Important news - I have got to the bottom of the problem.

If cannot get on the forum as a result of being timed out, it isn't because the forum has gone down or that it has a problem. The problem is 99.9% certain to be to do with your IP address.

Everyone online has an IP address, which is a series of numbers and dots. It is given to you by your internet service provider, and for most people it will change if for any reason you have to restart your router or hub. For a few people, it won't change, as they have a so called fixed IP address.

In this day and age, with more and more rogues and ne'er-do-wells up to no good on the internet, the propensity of IP blacklists has increased exponentially and the effectiveness of firewalls has improved. Because this forum invites interaction from potentially unknown people, it has a particularly robust firewall.

If you can't get on the forum because you are timed out, it is more than likely that your IP address has suddenly found its way onto a blacklist. Don't worry or panic - it's probably nothing to do with anything you've done wrong, but someone, somewhere has been naughty on the same server that your internet service provider has allocated to you, and a batch of IP addresses has been affected.

The simple solution for most people if this happens is simply to restart your router. This will instantly give you a new IP address, which assuming that isn't blacklisted, will allow you back on the forum immediately.

If a router restart doesn't work for you, it is likely that you have a fixed IP address. You can find out what it is by visiting What's My IP Address? - Obsolete Browser Page and your address will appear at the top of the screen. If, after rebooting your router, you cannot get on the forum, let me have your IP address and I will go to the Mother Ship to unblock you.

That said, I am looking at ways to relax the firewall slightly, so that he occasions on which this happens should be few and far between, but in the meantime, I'm happy to say that we at least have a way forward.

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
"The simple solution for most people if this happens is simply to restart your router. This will instantly give you a new IP address, which assuming that isn't blacklisted, will allow you back on the forum immediately."

Not always technically correct Phil, this depends on how the ISPs is assigning IP leases. It could be that you get a new one upon reconnection but it's also possible that you'll simply receive the same IP again if it's a short power cycle. Always best to check and it doesn't necessarily mean you have a static IP if you see the same twice in a row. Most domestic services from BT/EE/TalkTalk/Sky etc are admittedly dynamic where you either have to pay for a static or move to a business package, at which point you'll be aware you have one. Zen Internet as an example provide static IPs as standard and this is listed in their sales literature.

Some ISPs implement a 15 minute timeout similar to BT's Dynamic Line Management bins (::. Kitz - DLM .:: and ::. Kitz - DLM System .::) so it's always a good idea to power off a router for a solid 15-30 minute block if you're having serious problems to fully drop the connection. Although I wouldn't recommend doing this frequently on any old 20CN (old ADSL upto 8Mbps max) BT wholesale (BT/Plusnet/Zen) connections as it can have a detrimental impact on what is called your bRAS profile which can affect line speed. Shouldn't be any problems on newer ADSL2+ or VDSL/Fibre connections.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
So Phil, why does it go back to normal after just closing down the forum web page a while then it's ok when coming back in, I'm set up to keep logged in btw? In my case during that time I've been on other websites and forums without issue and have not rebooted my router.

I restart my router only when absolutely necessary as in the past due to our village having regular short power outages, the BT software interpreted the frequent restarts as an unstable connection and capped my broadband speed accordingly. This has happened on 3 occasions and anyone who has dealt with BT India will know exactly haw annoying that can be. It took a strongly worded email to 3 BT directors last time to get sorted.

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
I don't know he answer Bob, but perhaps if you do have a slow connection, you may genuinely have been timed out.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
So Phil, why does it go back to normal after just closing down the forum web page a while then it's ok when coming back in, I'm set up to keep logged in btw? In my case during that time I've been on other websites and forums without issue and have not rebooted my router.

For me it doesn't go back to normal after just closing down the forum web page a while. But apart from that I am set up to stay logged in and am able to visit other websites just as you are so it appears there may be more than one problem. Whether that is your broadband or the forum software is moot.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
For me it doesn't go back to normal after just closing down the forum web page a while. But apart from that I am set up to stay logged in and am able to visit other websites just as you are so it appears there may be more than one problem. Whether that is your broadband or the forum software is moot.

That's fair comment Walter, might not be easy to solve. It's been fine the last couple of days though I did notice when I went into my own profile tonight to look for a previous post on the "all" page it showed the one I had just made but a big gap back to 10th September. They were all there when I clicked to look at "posts" and "threads started" in the left panel.

There does seem to be a few strange things happening with the forum software, has Phil been on the scotch do you think? :winking::devil:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).