• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Free cherry

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
27532.jpg

In Derek's thread 'knocking on heavens door', showed the generosity of a friend, I mentioned that simultaneously I had been offered some cherry, I was a bit sceptical about the dimensions since I had never heard of a 20 meter cherry tree... Well I went to collect the main trunk sections.... I took the car and trailer thinking a small bit, I should have take the tractor because I left behind the same twice over in 50 cm sections. And he has 2 more of the same size to cut down there is no way to pick the cherries!!!

Each piece is 1 meter long except the top right hand piece at 1.38 metres and they all weigh in at 60 kilos except the big one!! Its all 10 days cut and green so I might just try some green turning!! Either way I shall have to split them.

PG

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Very nice get it rough turned and sealed ASAP even leaving it in log form it can still easily split

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Wow! Pierre, you've got some work to do, but in a nice way, I can sense there's a lot of beautiful things hiding in those logs. :thumbs::thumbs:

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Very nice get it rough turned and sealed ASAP even leaving it in log form it can still easily split

Luckily I have a large 1.37 metre splitter and on Monday I am logging 16 cu metre of oak with a friend so this will be split and drying in with the oak in an old tobacco drying shed. I think I might lop off a couple of bits just to try some green bark section thin bowls ie inverted so we shall see what we shall see. I normally turn dry so this will be a first. :goesred:

PG

Twin Oaks

Apprentice Member
First Name
Herb
If nothing else, you can always smoke fowl with the wood after it's nice & dry.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).