• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Friction polish?

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
Unusually for me I decided to move away from my highly polished CA finishes and try out Turners Retreats Diamond Coat Pen Polish. It doesn’t look so bad on the Thuya Burr pen. I guess it gives a more natural finish some would say. My question to you all is this. Is this just another brand of friction polish? Certainly applied in the same way and looks and smells similar. If anyone uses it, how hard wearing have you found it to be? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

SCO-013 Thuya Sirocco Opt.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have 3/4 of a pot of the stuff along with the multitudes of other panacea's..... I try most things. Liquid Diamond or Diamond coat I think is Shellac based so works like a friction polish, it's longevity is down to how many coats and how much handling.... Its a little better than Friction polish especially if you wax after with microcrystalline.... I have experimented with oils of late which soak in and go hard also the new one from Axi Rubio monocoat.... It smells nice, soaks in quick and looks good... Now to test durability:thinks::thinks:

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
On wood pens I only ever use polish of several types but also put carnaubra wax over it and advise customers to apply paste wax as and when needed let it dry then buff I have been doing this for many years without a single complaint

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
On wood pens I only ever use polish of several types but also put carnaubra wax over it and advise customers to apply paste wax as and when needed let it dry then buff I have been doing this for many years without a single complaint

Do you put a shine on it or rub it back to a more matt finish? How many coats do you normally apply? Because I normally use CA and finish to a mirror finish I’m always tempted to overdo it with polish etc. Guess I'm trying to get that mirror finish that I like but seeing and feeling the grain in the wood is probably what I should be aiming for with polish.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Have you tried Melamine??
You can get a good gloss finish or satin depending on applications.... :thinks::thinks:

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
Have you tried Melamine??
You can get a good gloss finish or satin depending on applications.... :thinks::thinks:

Yes I sometimes use Melamine using the Phil method but thought that I would try something different for a change. Haven’t really mastered the Melamine application although I do spray it on some of my larger pieces.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
A polish finish is something you have to learn by trial n error I first apply a few coats of sanding sealer depending on wood type then start the process of building up the polish to the desired effect then the carnaubra wax again till I get the desired effect all woods react differently but I never cut it back good luck I hope you enjoy.

I have tried all methods of finish but always go back to polish no nasty fumes to contend with lol it has worked for me for the last 69 years since I learned to turn at school

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I find one or two coats of CA does wonders,on the odd occasion I have used a skew to start again and it sure proves ca hangs in there.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).