• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Getting back in the pen saddle...

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Nice job. Is that a triple start thread you've used? I've bought stuff from the thepolishingshop.co.uk as well, excellent service and their prices are hard to beat.

Macaronytony

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the info and tutorial Stewart. Now got two prototypes on the go and a thousand ideas thanks to you... :thumbs::thumbs:
Casting my own blanks is just a step too far at the moment.

Saved the drawing Phil, thanks for that. Another section to design now.
This hobby is fun again..

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Cheers for that, Phil - very helpful to have this.

Looking forward to making a nib section out of some of your ebonite!

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Nice job. Is that a triple start thread you've used? I've bought stuff from the thepolishingshop.co.uk as well, excellent service and their prices are hard to beat.

Hi - yep it's a triple start from an IAP group buy some years ago...took me a few years to get round to using it!

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Thanks for the info and tutorial Stewart. Now got two prototypes on the go and a thousand ideas thanks to you... :thumbs::thumbs:
Casting my own blanks is just a step too far at the moment.

Saved the drawing Phil, thanks for that. Another section to design now.
This hobby is fun again..

That's great to hear, Tony. I'm sure we all have those times where the interest wanes and other things get in the way. It was probably some very nice comments from Phil at Beaufort that got me going again! As for casting, it's really very straightforward...will have to do another tutorial :winking:

Last edited:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Hi
Probably because I read about someone using it! The margins between all the threads are quite fine. The cap thread reduces the diameter of the barrel tenon to 11.2mm. The nib thread in the barrel gives an inner diameter at the maximum thread depth of 9.75mm. This leaves a wall thickness between the threads of 1.45mm divided by 2 if I've understood taps and dies correctly. I realise that sounds thin but in practice it hasn't caused any issues.

With the nib section itself the wall is even thinner. The tenon is turned to about 8.8mm and the 9 X .75 die is used on it. This gives a diameter of 8.25mm. The hole for the refill is 6.4mm. This gives a maximum wall thickness between the inner wall and the bottom of the thread of 1.75mm divided by 2.

Overall the threads part of the barrel has a thickness of about 1.8mm and the nib section one of 1.3mm. My thinking is that it's better to have he thicker tenon on the barrel as this gets more use than the nib section thread.

Here's a shot of the two tenons....

124b8d92c93e465a28ea6497e0b6c13d.jpg

Thanks Stewart, guess I need some new taps and dies.:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Over this thread so many wonderful things have unfolded. The standout ideas for working with thicker material obviates the need for all sorts of strengthening devices while cutting threads. The fact that by pictures it shows a Wood lathe can be used, the caliper fitted to measure depth. Careful information of where to find, sizes and materials preferred. By description altogether uplifting everyone involved.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).