• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Giving up.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
My first day at work today too, buggered that init?

Some people will do anything to get out of work. :funny:

Seriously though Brian that looks like a really nasty reaction. Take care of yourself mate and thanks for the warning.

I have an allergic reaction to some woods, cocobolo in particular, my eyelids swell up until I look like a chameleon. never reacted to CA or resins etc. yet though.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Ouch hope you recovery quickly. Take care and look forward to you comments on the forum(I tried to be polite with that last bit:funny::funny::funny:)

CA effects me so now I set up the dust extractor without the bag so it is outside and use it as a fume extractor seems to have solved my problem. When I first started using CA no bother but now it feels like my lungs fill with liquid if I don't use the extractor

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Bloody hell Brian. I hope you get better soon :pray:
I've never cast any blanks so have not used resin for pens. Used to use if with fiberglass but I guess that's different :nooidea:
As for CA I've always worn a respirator (3M 4000 Series Gas, Vapour and Particulate Respirator), even in the shed with the door open. The only time i didn't is when I had someone watching and got them to wear the respirator. I held my breath whilst applying the CA, stepped out of the shed and then breathed.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for all the nice comments, and the light hearted banter is always welcome.

I have spoken about this before but for those who haven't seen my previous warnings I will do it again.
I am reluctant to blame ca as I have never reacted like this with Cyanoacrylate, only benzine and isocyanate or a mix of them.
Although ca is an irritant (so am I init) it is mild compared to isocyanate usually only giving me cold like symptoms (sneezy snotty nose init).

During the 1970's or was it the 1790's? I was heavily involved in the development or redevelopment of twin pack paints and mixing the above mentioned chemicals to get spraying viscosities correct etc.
I had a contract to spray all the forecourt petrol pumps for BP, Esso, Q8 and Texaco starting UK and Ireland spreading through Europe.
So no small task and one which would and should have made me a multi milyonaire, H&S was not a consideration in those days but getting the job done was.

While working on the development of intumescent paint 4 operatives in my employ walked off the scaffolding to their deaths, overcome with the fumes.
The only rule we introduced was no more than 20 minutes work at any time then a compulsory break.
That had no effect, once a guy is suited and booted for going in a spray booth he can't see his watch, he is on price work so wants to hammer through it and carries on until the job is done.

I poured thousands NO hundreds of thousands of pounds into getting this right and worked myself into the ground doing it.
I woke up in Guys Hospital poison unit filled with toxic combustible fumes and lucky to be alive.
I looked like the Michelin man, my internal organs had swollen to the extreme they were pushing my bones out of joint.
I had breached contract while laying in a hospital bed for 6 months and lost all my money and my business.

This left me with an ultra sensitivity to all foam making chemicals, If a tin is opened in the same room as me I know all about it and have to get away quickly.
And it's not only what I breath that counts, the very fact the fumes are in the air I feel my eyes screw up my balls swelling and itchy and then the rest of me starts.
That's what surprises me about getting caught out this time, something in my shed has crept up on me and snaffled me unaware I need to find out what it is but that means going though this again.
Jane has had enuff and wants me out of the shed permanently, she says I am stupid which of course I am.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Sorry to hear about all your troubles Brian, hope this lot goes away quickly and you find out what caused it. Maybe you ought to take it easy for a bit anyway. Get well soon my friend.

Paul

Fellow
* Stunned *

Can't understate the importance of thoughtful posts like this Brian to the leagues of hobbyists like me with no peer group blindly having a go at stuff.

Made me think. Thank you.

Oh yeah, blimey, get well soon

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Bloody hell Dad, take care me old mucker.

Can't be doing that stuff at your age now can ya.?

Besides another selfie like that and I may have an heart attack.:tongue:

I have in the past warned you of the dangers of casting your own blanks but you won't listen.

Be Warned..............................

Anyway, dunner foget to practice what thee preaches lad..

I have many years in front of me to take heed of that piece of advice and have now purchased a carbon filter for my said airstream helmet. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
That doesn't look to good Brian, i hope you get to the bottom of the cause my friend, not only for peace of mind but to allow you back doing what brought us all together .. :thumbs:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Hope you're well on your way to recovery Brian, certainly doesn't look good, thanks for all the advice, makes you think about what we might have lurking in the shed :thinks::thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That doesn't look to good Brian, i hope you get to the bottom of the cause my friend, not only for peace of mind but to allow you back doing what brought us all together .. :thumbs:

This might well be the end for me mate, Jane is adamant I stay out of the shed and take up something less dangerous, Lion taming or wrestling crocagaters.
She can't take much more of me stressing her out like this, too much grief over to many years to keep on.
I have no intention of going in there while still like this, but you know what will happen as soon at it goes down init?
Might be time to get some play doh and sit by the cooker aye???

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This might well be the end for me mate, Jane is adamant I stay out of the shed and take up something less dangerous, Lion taming or wrestling crocagaters.
She can't take much more of me stressing her out like this, too much grief over to many years to keep on.
I have no intention of going in there while still like this, but you know what will happen as soon at it goes down init?
Might be time to get some play doh and sit by the cooker aye???

It might be time to use only a wax finish, at least for a while and if you do go back to CA then use a vapour mask and latex/vinyl gloves. I will buy you some if you promise to wear them.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hope you're well on your way to recovery Brian, certainly doesn't look good, thanks for all the advice, makes you think about what we might have lurking in the shed :thinks::thinks:

Reading the replies Billy it still don't getting through to some people.
It ain't only what you breath, this stuff enters the body through the pores in your skin, through your eyes etc.
You may well be fine all the time you use it but on the other hand you may not.
It's not only the person using it, it affects all around too, your kids could grow up with this intolerance.

I have said time and time again this stuff should only ever be used in controlled conditions.
A mask is not enough a fume cabinet is better.
I can't stop any of you but I have yet again made you aware.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It might be time to use only a wax finish, at least for a while and if you do go back to CA then use a vapour mask and latex/vinyl gloves. I will buy you some if you promise to wear them.

Peter

Cheers Peter I have them but you're right, don't wear them, I did for a long time use shellac as my finish which I never had a problem with but the ca has crept back in slowly.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
:goesred::imsorry::monkon:Brian during my changeover from the VL100 to VL150 I brought the extraction for fumes and fine dust down to immediately above the turning surface where a minor gale takes care of most of the problems I find ie CA and SANDING DUST then FUMES in general. The under bench removal assisted this way and creates another minor gale just under the pens driven by a powerful extractor. I have great sympathy for your predicament something tells me you must be hyper sensitive following your work activities over many yrs now a signal to withdraw from some of them to allow you to enjoy life more fully.

Please take care, kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0004-133.JPG
    DSCF0004-133.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 32

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Nice
Reading the replies Billy it still don't getting through to some people.
It ain't only what you breath, this stuff enters the body through the pores in your skin, through your eyes etc.
You may well be fine all the time you use it but on the other hand you may not.
It's not only the person using it, it affects all around too, your kids could grow up with this intolerance.

I have said time and time again this stuff should only ever be used in controlled conditions.
A mask is not enough a fume cabinet is better.
I can't stop any of you but I have yet again made you aware.

Totally agree with you Brian a mask is not enough. As I said earlier Personal Protective Equipment such as a mask is the last resort for controlling the risk to your health when using some of these chemical. If you had been using them in industry a fume cabinet would be a legal requirement for some chemicals and full PPE . The best form of control is in my mind is to eliminate the risk by substituting it for a safer product e.g. Don't use CA use friction polish or wax.

:rolling:Vic:rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).