• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Giving up.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That looks a really good setup Peter, you can't have to much extraction.
I dare say I'll get over it and carry on being an idiot until the next time.
These things are all fine until the day of consequence.
I think I am just feeling a bit sorry for myself while sitting in this acid bath.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its good to hear you back in fine fettle Brian. The black tie is going back in the wardrobe... PHEW!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Bloody hell Brian that's a real shocker, you've been through the wars (not sure about the mugshot pic tho, I'll have nightmares for weeks:whistling:)

Hope you recover quickly, what meds do they give you to reduce the symptoms?

Your post is a wake up call for many of us and I thank you for that. I certainly take risks and short cuts when I shouldn't and if your story helps even one of us to avoid what you're going through then you're a saint. That's your "bad boy"reputation shot again mate.
Get well soon

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Cheers Peter I have them but you're right, don't wear them, I did for a long time use shellac as my finish which I never had a problem with but the ca has crept back in slowly.

Can you imagine the fortune to be made for a water-based CA lookalike. I always use a vapour mask for the resin, but it makes me breathe heavier and I wonder if I can get something like the trend airshield with an organic filter, I should imagine that would be easier to breathe without effort. I don't like wearing the mask, but I do because I can't function without it.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bob I dunno what they gave me but it is in my medical records to administer a drug which dunalf work quick to get the swelling down internally.
Four injections of it
Then I have antihistamine till the soreness alleviates combined with Amoxicillin and something I cant pronounce or spell to create a super antibiotic.
Sorry about the mugshot but shock tactics are called for it's no good just telling people they need pics to see init?

David (JimJam) I did get you voicemail and am deeply touched by it, many thanks. I didn't phone back cos talking makes my lips bleed (jokes about every 28 days are acceptable).

I had the traditional sick soup for my dinner (chicken soup from a can) cos I cant eat.
I have a pair of nuts I could push around in wheelbara, wanna pic of them?
And all the skin on my inner elbows and back of knees is split and falling off.
It gets worse before it gets better, still a few days of falling to bits to go through yet.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Bob I dunno what they gave me but it is in my medical records to administer a drug which dunalf work quick to get the swelling down internally.
Four injections of it
Then I have antihistamine till the soreness alleviates combined with Amoxicillin and something I cant pronounce or spell to create a super antibiotic.
Sorry about the mugshot but shock tactics are called for it's no good just telling people they need pics to see init?

David (JimJam) I did get you voicemail and am deeply touched by it, many thanks. I didn't phone back cos talking makes my lips bleed (jokes about every 28 days are acceptable).

I had the traditional sick soup for my dinner (chicken soup from a can) cos I cant eat.
I have a pair of nuts I could push around in wheelbara, wanna pic of them?
And all the skin on my inner elbows and back of knees is split and falling off.
It gets worse before it gets better, still a few days of falling to bits to go through yet.

Yeah, but just think of the plus side, your Jane will have a new man once the skin has regenerated:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Can you imagine the fortune to be made for a water-based CA lookalike. I always use a vapour mask for the resin, but it makes me breathe heavier and I wonder if I can get something like the trend airshield with an organic filter, I should imagine that would be easier to breathe without effort. I don't like wearing the mask, but I do because I can't function without it.

Peter

I have a 3m versaflo. the air pump is on your back, you can put organic filters in it and I don't even know I've got it on after 10 mins, there is not misting up and its a safety shield too with no distortion. A bit pricey compared to the Trend but I would definitely buy another of these if needed.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian

Peter

A good idea and I dare say it would reduce the fumes tremendously, a thixotropic water based ca would be a great solution.
Trouble for me that isocyanate is exactly what they would use to create it so I would still be buggered.
As I have said previously Peter I still am reluctant to blame the ca as it doesn't contain the dreaded chemical at least the poundland one don't.
Dan do you have a data sheet on your ca? Does it contain isocyanate or Benzene?
If so does anyone want my bottles?
Or do I have to add ca to list of things I can't use, I can't use araldite or the other squirty stuff, Cascamite and me from now on init?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have a 3m versaflo. the air pump is on your back, you can put organic filters in it and I don't even know I've got it on after 10 mins, there is not misting up and its a safety shield too with no distortion. A bit pricey compared to the Trend but I would definitely buy another of these if needed.

I wonder if Axminster or 3M will let me try one, I know 3M do, but it is usually for large companies where they can make more than just 1 sale.

Peter

Lainey

First Name
Elaine
Oh Brian I am so sorry to hear about your terrible experience. I am thinking of you and wish you a speedy full recovery.
Like many others have said , thank you for the warnings , I for one will be concentrating on dust and fume extraction , and will give the subject the attention and respect it deserves.
Look after yourself Brian , best wishes to You and Jane
Lainey x

Lainey

First Name
Elaine
Just a thought Brian, has anyone from the hospital/ doctors mentioned or suggested that you carry something like an Epi Pen , which means you ( or someone else) can administer a drug that will start to deal with the allergic reaction immediately and before you get to hospital ? People with severe allergic reactions to things like peanuts and bee stings usually carry them .
Lainey x

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just a thought Brian, has anyone from the hospital/ doctors mentioned or suggested that you carry something like an Epi Pen , which means you ( or someone else) can administer a drug that will start to deal with the allergic reaction immediately and before you get to hospital ? People with severe allergic reactions to things like peanuts and bee stings usually carry them .
Lainey x

Is that the reason why Woody's never very far from a can of Smiffs :nooidea::whistling:

Gilliandrea

Registered
First Name
Gill
Although I have not been a member of the forum for very long, I would like to add my 'Get well soon' wishes to you Brian :kiss::thumbs:

Your warnings have not gone unheard, I will take more precautions, thank you :bwink:

Last edited:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered

We always knew you were a bit touched, mate - but now you've confirmed what we always suspected! :funny::funny::funny:

Hang in there - it sounds like it's a rough ride at the minute. I'll come over for a cuppa when you're up and about.

:kiss:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You are more than welcome here any time young David.

Rough ride is a bit of an understatement mate I am red raw from lid to base init?

Today's selfie reminds me of someone I think it could be my dad.

IMG_20141014_091902.jpg homer_drool.png

Can you see the resemblance???

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You are more than welcome here any time young David.

Rough ride is a bit of an understatement mate I am red raw from lid to base init?

Today's selfie reminds me of someone I think it could be my dad.

View attachment 10382 View attachment 10383

Can you see the resemblance???

If anything it looks a bit worse than it did on the first selfie, are you seeing the doctor on a daily basis?

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've copied your photo for the kids to cut out Halloween masks Brian :funny:

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Was Contemplating giving this a go.. but I think I will just buy the blanks.. hope you are on the mend.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).