• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Glue

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
All the time my glue 0of preference. Unlike others I still tie a band end for end to eliminate the brass popping during expansion. I take the band off after a half hour. Mind you I always use excess glue. Last weekend I spoke with a prolific penmaker who uses Araldite he figires around a dollar a pen cost for that (his words).

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Yes, as Peter said.

Provided the glue fixes metal, woods and plastic you can use anything..

Araldite, two part epoxy from 15 min mixes to 24 hour cure time. It all depends on what you are happy using, CA has gone out of favor with some due to the noxious smells and the reaction it can cause. (Not mentioning the flue like symptoms you can get as well)

if I remember rightly Neil used to use a caulking gun (no nails or something similar) tube as he was glueing so many tubes in one stop. Sure it's on here somewhere the type he used.:thinks:

ArtyCrafty

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nichola
I tend to use Titebond, but you do have to watch out for the tubes being pushed out of the blank!! elastic bands are the answer. I have used CA glue in the past - but I don't like the fumes.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Not sure what to say here still being a greenie. I use thick CA but never get any fumes, not just gluing brass tube in anyway i leave that over night to go off. I have tried finishing wood with it and it stinks like a b.......d, plus i am very adept at gluing myself with it as well.
Gorrila glue i have used on making furniture and it is just about second to non.
Now my question on gluing brass tubes in, do you coat the blank the dip the tube in water? How do you stop it creeping into the tubes though it would be easy to clean out.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Gorilla glue produces foam when setting so I put blue tac in each end of the blank to stop the foam/glue going into the ends of the blank. Do not dip the blank in water all you need is a damp cotton bud to dampen the inside of the blank the brass still needs to be keyed with sandpaper. I only use Gorrila glue on fairly loose blanks and still use thick CA most of the time to glue tubes in. For finishing a pen I use the thin CA glue from pound world you get three wee pots for a pound and I do not notice the fumes from this to be too bad. The reason I use thin CA is the first coat absorbes into the wood forming a wood/plasic substrate and depending on the type of wood can penatrate up to 1mm this helps harden and stabilize after which it is easier to coat the next 8 coats I put 3 coats on at a time then stabilize until all 9 coats are on.

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
I use Gorilla glue I find it brilliant.:thumbs: Only problem i have if it get on your fingers they go brown( not good having brown fingers :whistling::funny:)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My main supplier Masters is folding forever as I speak, look for fresh glue it has a life in the container. Do the sums, not cheap ie the poly one.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
There is a "how to" on the Beaufort Ink blog about stopping tubes moving when using Gorilla glue.

Preventing tubes from moving with Gorilla Glue

Yes, it makes your fingers dirty if you get the glue on them. Wear gloves - problem sorted. Better than sticking your fingers together with CA, and better than the breathing problems associated with CA too, not to mention its a much more suitable glue for almost every situation (in my opinion) than CA unless you suffer from acute impatience.

Difficult to use on a cold day? Agreed. Solution - slip the bottle in your pocket whilst your cutting and drilling your blanks. Problem sorted.

It needs water to cure? - Urban myth. It needs moisture to cure. Semantics maybe, but unless your workshop is in the middle of the Gobi desert, normal atmospheric humidity is more than enough to do the job. If you're worried it wont set in a synthetic blank, harr down the hole before you insert the tube. That is more than enough - you don't need to wet the blank.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Great little walk through there. I went one better, stuck a blank to my finger, that bloody hurt getting it off. To make matter worse i always have a box of latex gloves in the garage for when i work on the trike.
Oh well.
Still my next lot of gluing will be with Gorilla Glue i think, i never work on the blank till the next day anyway.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).