• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gorilla glue use

APH

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
As requested; First three.
Two with some interestingly figured Sycamore and one with some English Ash. Kits from Axminster, finished with CA.
Learnt a lot and will be better next time.
2.2°C in the workshop today prevented much activity.
3 pens.jpg

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Very good indeed Paul. Its refreshing to see first slimlines turned straight and parallel instead of the "Poodles Tail" appearance that many first slimlines take on. That's just my subjective opinion of course, but what ever shape, your first attempts look more than excellent from where I'm sitting.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the tip re bandsaw Bob never thought of doing that and am going through my sanding discs quicker than I would like too and they are a pain lower than the neck to get off even with a hotair gun. I have a beal tap the same size as my lathes spindle and am going to make a block with velcro on it so you can use 2 inch bowl sanding discs with transfer punch and jacobs chuck to clean up the ends of pen blanks but will try your method first.

You can buy large sheets of sanding material and cut your own 2 inch disks using gal water pipe champhered one end. I bought a proper 2 inch punch (many dolars).

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
When using gorilla glue for glueing tubes, I generally use a bit of water for the acrylic blanks, but would never consider putting water anywhere near a wooden blank.

APH

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Thanks Phil.

Praise indeed from you :-)
I'm sure you'd find plenty of faults if you held them.

Getting there as I learn more. I'll move on to better quality kits once I'm happier with getting the line and finish to a standard I'm happy with.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I hope you didn't try that really horrible shiite, that no Aussie will drink, its all shipped over your way.:face:

Do you remember what brand you tried?

No Mark, wasn't in the UK. we've been to Oz 3 times and I tried a lot of the local beers, they were all........ strange ! :wink: I'm sure they were made from roo p*** :ciggrin:
Even my brother in Sydney had got used to drinking crap lager, at least he said it was lager but I questioned that although it went down ok with a barbied roo steak. :thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
No Mark, wasn't in the UK. we've been to Oz 3 times and I tried a lot of the local beers, they were all........ strange ! :wink: I'm sure they were made from roo p*** :ciggrin:
Even my brother in Sydney had got used to drinking crap lager, at least he said it was lager but I questioned that although it went down ok with a barbied roo steak. :thumbs:
Roo [emoji491] meat is good tucker, and it is very healthy for you aswell.
In my opinion Cooper's brewery make' s the best beer [emoji482]. They make it the traditional way. A small family owned brewery.
Some famous pommy beer taster came out and tried all the Australian beers.
Cooper's got the two of the top three beers.
He said about the big brewery's, the bigger they get the blander their beer is.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
You can buy large sheets of sanding material and cut your own 2 inch disks using gal water pipe champhered one end. I bought a proper 2 inch punch (many dolars).

Peter.

Hi Peter I was looking for a way of cutting discs out of Velcro backed sand paper so thank you for your advice. Think the punch you have is called a wad punch and you are not joking when you say they are expensive, so I am off on a quest to find some galvanized 2" water pipe :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My mate a pro turner uses an old anvil with a sheet of plastic cutting board in between and a 4lb hammer makes hundreds at a time. For many years our Wood Guild we all made the cutters from pipe.Necessity is the mother of invention.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I tried making a punch out of some two inch pipe but it wouldn’t cut the Velcro backed sand paper I had. Worth a try but no cigar.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).