• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Greetings!

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
I've just purchased the Proxxon PD 250E lathe. I've always wanted one and since retiring I find I have more time on my hands. (Don't worry I'm single!!)
I haven't used the lathe yet as I'm getting familiar with it, watching videos on Youtube to gain some knowledge and joining forums like this for advice and help if I need it. So be kind if I ask a stupid question, we all start somewhere, don't we!

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
the only stupid question is the question that isnt asked...theyre a good bunch here mate, helped me out no end....welcome and prepare for your wallet to empty :)
Thanks Nigel, I came off Facebook for that very reason, it isn't pleasant the way some people tend to attack you for no reason but I guess that's how it is nowadays! Wallet and bank account emptied last week when I bought the lathe. I've a few projects in mind at the moment but firstly I'm diving in at the deep end and will have a go at making a tail stock die holder! I know, a bit ambitious but hey ho lets see how it goes. They're expensive to buy, (around £80!) but to make one will cost no more than £25. I'll post a picture when it's done.

waterbuffalo

First Name
nigel
Thanks Nigel, I came off Facebook for that very reason, it isn't pleasant the way some people tend to attack you for no reason but I guess that's how it is nowadays! Wallet and bank account emptied last week when I bought the lathe. I've a few projects in mind at the moment but firstly I'm diving in at the deep end and will have a go at making a tail stock die holder! I know, a bit ambitious but hey ho lets see how it goes. They're expensive to buy, (around £80!) but to make one will cost no more than £25. I'll post a picture when it's done.
please do. ive no idea what it is but would be interested to see it...maybe i need one lol

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
please do. ive no idea what it is but would be interested to see it...maybe i need one lol

waterbuffalo

First Name
nigel
Gotcha... Can one use those taps for wood, or am I missing something.... Reckon they would work on corian, I'll give it a go and see what happens 👍

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome on board Gerry, lovely part of the world you live in.

Look forward to seeing some of your work and the skills that develop from it. I’m sure we will learn from you as well as you from us.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Not sure if die holders would work on wood but they defiantly work on Acrylic blanks for cutting triple lead threads I have been using one I made to hold a die to cut a 12x0.8 thread to day. I have been experimenting cutting male and female triple lead threads in my shed to day with some success. I made my die holder out of Aluminium easier to work with.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Welcome to the forum mate, enjoy your stay and ask what you need.... I do hope we're friendlier than Facebook.... :bwink:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Welcome!

Good luck with the die holder. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Blondiehacks on YouTube but she is, in my opinion, one of the best machinists on there and she describes how to make one here:

Cheers
Ash

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
Welcome on board Gerry, lovely part of the world you live in.

Look forward to seeing some of your work and the skills that develop from it. I’m sure we will learn from you as well as you from us.
Thank you Eamonn, I'm originally from the Midlands but moved here near Lands End 30 years ago.. I've never looked back! I'll gladly post what I achieve. :thumbs:

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
Not sure if die holders would work on wood but they defiantly work on Acrylic blanks for cutting triple lead threads I have been using one I made to hold a die to cut a 12x0.8 thread to day. I have been experimenting cutting male and female triple lead threads in my shed to day with some success. I made my die holder out of Aluminium easier to work with.
Hi Dave, they're a very handy tool to have in your itinerary!

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
By the way you don,t need to buy the Proxxon version there are cheaper options out there look on ebay for example.
It's one of my first projects Dave. I've got all the materials now and managed to source a knurling tool for the lathe which Proxxon don't make? It will be aluminium but with a steel shaft to fit into the chuck on the tail stock.

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
Welcome!

Good luck with the die holder. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Blondiehacks on YouTube but she is, in my opinion, one of the best machinists on there and she describes how to make one here:

Cheers
Ash
Hi Ash, I am very familiar, I watch most of her videos, a great tutor, and she's very attractive too! Quinn Dunki. I'll be making it following this video.