• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Greetings!

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hello Gerry - welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Absoltely everyone here was in your position once upon a time, so please do feel free to ask away, however daft or elementary you think it might be. There is usually someone here who will be able to help you out, but if you're the sort of person who is happy to tackle your own die stock holder as a first project, I can't help feeling it won't be too long before you're answering the questions instead of asking them.

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
Hello Gerry - welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Absoltely everyone here was in your position once upon a time, so please do feel free to ask away, however daft or elementary you think it might be. There is usually someone here who will be able to help you out, but if you're the sort of person who is happy to tackle your own die stock holder as a first project, I can't help feeling it won't be too long before you're answering the questions instead of asking them.

Thank you Phil. A novince I am and I try to learn and absorb what advice is given. At the moment it's 'Got all the gear but no idea' Lol... but I always love a challenge.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Gerry

its always worth going along to an engineering car boot sale and seeing if you can find any coventry die head inserts. These are usually in sets of 4 so “odd singletons “ are of no value to the dealers. However one can easily make yourself a handle,to fit them , then you have a hand thread chaser for external threads . Internal tread chasers can be made too but it’s a bit more tricky .

Either way it’s damn good fun ( OK masochistic fun I’ll grant you ) to hand cut threads . Not sure I’d risk it on a pen I’ve spent time on though , not yet anyway.

Syzygy

First Name
Gerry
Gerry

its always worth going along to an engineering car boot sale and seeing if you can find any coventry die head inserts. These are usually in sets of 4 so “odd singletons “ are of no value to the dealers. However one can easily make yourself a handle,to fit them , then you have a hand thread chaser for external threads . Internal tread chasers can be made too but it’s a bit more tricky .

Either way it’s damn good fun ( OK masochistic fun I’ll grant you ) to hand cut threads . Not sure I’d risk it on a pen I’ve spent time on though , not yet anyway.
I've finally made my tail stock holder. Not bad for a first attempt? I haven't used it yet but looking forward when I do.