• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

home made vacuum chuck cheap and works great.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Just a face plate with 12mm ply screwed to it cut to round hole drilled in the middle then craft foam from hobby
craft glued to it Frankie.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Brian i have apart done one all you need is to turn the wooden head stock insert with o ring and make the face plate if you want the white one in the thread with the bearing just let me know and its yours Frankie.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's very nice of you Frankie, it would be rude to refuse init?
Thank you young man.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the link!

I will have a think about this, the only problem I have is if I am using the vac to hold the bowl on, what do I use to suck up the dust? :rolling:

Really must get some sort of extraction in!

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I made a vacuum chuck a while ago with a removable bearing so I could use the knock out bar through the spindle. I also made a faceplate chuck like frankies.
I like Frankies chuck system because of its simplicity. Well done Frankie. Obviously like me you like to experiment, it's great fun seeing your efforts work out.
Hopefully this link will take you to my system.

From Coffee Jar to Vacuum Chuck - Woodworkers Institute - Forums

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Nice one Bill my lathe is a jet and the headstock
spindle is one piece so no need for a tube but if I needed to
I could adapt it thanks for sharing it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).