• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

introducing myself

seswicks shed

Registered
First Name
jon
hello all,

hi i am jon and i am a complete novice to turning,i have been woodworking for a bout a year now and have setup a nice little shed with most common tools(table saw,bandsaw,planer/thicknesser...etc...etc) and have really been enjoying the hobby,so i decided it was time to buy a lathe,which i have a little midi lathe,i have bought everything i need for turning pens(mandrel,mandrell saver,a second hand set of record power chisels,pen kits,LOADS of blanks...etc...etc) so i am all set to start practicing i just have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them please.

1 is it worth getting carbide tipped chisels now and start with them or get used to the more traditional tools first?

2 how do i go about putting a good edge on my tools? i have a grinder,and everything needed for normal bevel edge chisels,but have know idea where to start with lathe chisels,which is why i was thinking of the carbide tipped ones.

3 any pointers as how to start using my lathe,hints tips tricks?.

many thanks

mr jon seswick

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi Jon and welcome.

I personally would start with the basic tools and learn with them. If you have a club near by then join that there is nothing like hands on. Or find someone local either a competent turner or even find a coarse near you it is well worth it. Be aware of u tube video's not all are good people here will recommend who to watch. Get Keith Rowley's book "Woodturning a foundation coarse" which will help with sharpening and many other aspects of the hobby.

Don't forget there is always this mad bunch you could ask they are all mad hatters and know what they are talking about well I think they do depends on who you ask.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hello Jon and welcome to the mad bad world of turning, I agree with everything Derek has said. I myself bought a cheap lathe with three tools and didn't have a clue, I did watch hours and hours of YouTube videos and picked up most of what I know now,
There is a lot to learn, but the most important thing right from the start is having sharp tools. I recommend Mike Waldt and RJBWoodturner on YouTube. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Jon .. :thumbs:

If you can afford the Robert Sorby Pro-Edge, you will have sharp and shaped tools in an instance .. :winking:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome on board Jon,

As above all been said, modern world of you tube is quite good but also as Derek says, get a local club hands on is much better that trying to learn from videos and self help.

I have heard that the Axminster courses in wood turning are also very good, never used them myself but know a couple that have and found them to be a great source of experience.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Jon - welcome aboard. Good advice above. Derek's recommendation of Keith Rowley's book is possibly the best advice you will get, along with joining a club, His book may seem a little dated these days, but it is possibly the most authoritative and approachable one you'll ever come across. The problem with relying on youtube alone is that whilst there is plenty of good advice to be had there, there is also plenty of poor, and sometimes even dangerous advice to be had there, and you won't know which is which.

The Rowley book covers turning in general. More specific to pens is Walter Hall's book - A complete guide to turning pens & pencils. Both together will give you a fine start.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Welcome aboard Jon. All good advice above. Don't forget, you wouldn't drive a car without taking lessons, it's the same with Woodturning. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and possibly a load of grief it you take a couple of lessons with a professional or competent turner.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Jon use conventional tools mate make yourself the others they all have a place. The other advice you received is great. All the best in the quest.

Peter.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Welcome Jon. I second the advice given. I found Kieth Rowley's book very useful when I started a few years ago and Walter's on pen turning is most useful.
There are loads of useful videos on UTube.I find Mike Waldt, Sam Angelo and the Richard Raffan videos very helpful. Some UTube practices are frankly just scary, but I have found the sound sense given by those quoted usually sorts the good from the downright dangerous.
There is loads of useful info.on this forum too. Learning to use a few basic tools well and to their best advantage seems sound advice too.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Hi Jon. Welcome to the forum from across the pond. Since you are brand new to turning and have no bad habits I strongly advise you to learn how to use a skew. If you can master this tool all others will be a walk in the park.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Welcome to the Forum Jon. Tons of advice to help you on your eat is available here. If you can't find what you want ask as someone will always give their views.

:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).