• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Is the weather keeping you out of the workshop

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
T shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, a beany hat & a halogen heater when it gets really cold.
Haven't done much turning over the festive period in there, just made room for some of the new toys I got but like Jim, it's long hours that's stopping me going in the shed at the mo.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
No weather problems today, I'm working in a workshop to die for not mine I hasten to add, but I'm loving the underfloor heating in this place & the natural light is fantastic, gonna make mine seem like a cave when I get back :down:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Its a lovely day today so I'm going to stick a log on the lathe and make a natural edge box oh happy days

MarkW

Mark,

As an ex sufferer, you have my sympathy, no one who has not been afflicted with this has any idea of the pain levels!

My goodness I couldn't believe that I couldn't even put a sheet on my foot it hurt so bad, glad to hear you are an ex sufferer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
My shed is only 12 x 8 ft, I have an oil filled rad on overnight on economy7 to keep the temp up so as not to spoil the glues and finishes or anything else that doesn't like being frozen. And if It gets a bit chilly when I'm in there then I just turn on the fan heater for 10 mins.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
My goodness I couldn't believe that I couldn't even put a sheet on my foot it hurt so bad, glad to hear you are an ex sufferer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I got my finger crushed playing hockey and broke it in four places, and displaced the top half of the finger by an inch and it flopped around as there wasnt much holding it together. Didnt hurt as much as the gout! My problem was caused by blood presure and a blood volume to body mass ratio imbalance (fat bastard!). Gave up alcohol as I had had more than my fair share anyway, lost weight, blood pressure went the other way, too low, kept off the triggers, which I'm afraid it will take you a couple of outbreqks to discover what they are, and I haven't been attacked for about five years. When I used to get that tell tale stiffness in my toe joint, I immediately drunk as much water as I could to try and help process the uric acid and didnt eat anything other than indometacin. Get some from the Doc and tell him you need some as a pre-emptive strike against gout, if you can start eating the stuff within an hour when you feel it start you can at least ease the attack, and whatever you do Mark, dont stress your joints for a week after otherwise you'll end up with long term arthritis.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I had gout once in my big toe, that totally immobilized me for a few days until it went down.
Doctor told me to drink a glass of cranberry juice every day, I have and it has never returned.
I dare not have my daily glass just in case.
I also suffer from long term arthritis and degenerative spinal stenosis which is a form of

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
So far it's only kept me out for a couple of days where my fingers were too cold.

May well have to look at a propane heater for the garage I think, as the withdrawal symptoms kick in if I don;t get some shed time on a weekend.

Given it's 35 quid for a 19kg bottle, I think that's pretty reasonable to be honest, given how long it will last.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My sympathies for all the ailments one sure feels the change of seasons with joint problems. It seems if you rearrange toes and or break them the hospital system seem to take the attitude rough bandage and take care on the way home and dont let the door hit you on the back on the way out, very painful indeed. Trust the weather eases for you all.

Take care Peter.:thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I have one of those Calor gas heaters, Super ser in my shed I expected it to cost a fortune but have been pleasantly surprised.
I bought a bottle at the weekend for £31.99 that is the first since last winter and that is still going strong.
I guesstimate to be a bottle and half per year not to terrible so far over the last four years I have had this heater.
That is warm as toast as often as I like. much better than the electric heater I had previosly plus I pay for this up front so I know the cost beforehand.
No shock from my Drain blaming the high electric bill on my shed init?

I read on a different forum that if you use gas all the tools go rusty due to the moisture. Any problems with you Brian?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The amount of moisture in my shed won't be changed any by a bit of gas.
Nothing has gone rusty yet but I can't say it won't this winter with all the rain we are having.
Surely the heat from the gas fire helps to dry it out rather than making moisture.
My windows do steam up when I have it on but I am sure they would with any other heater in there.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
The amount of moisture in my shed won't be changed any by a bit of gas.
Nothing has gone rusty yet but I can't say it won't this winter with all the rain we are having.
Surely the heat from the gas fire helps to dry it out rather than making moisture.
My windows do steam up when I have it on but I am sure they would with any other heater in there.

If you want to keep the moisture out Brian it would help if you stopped the bloody periscope leaking.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).