• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Is the weather keeping you out of the workshop

Jim

Grand Master
Gout is stopping me not the weather :sob:

Feel for you Mark, i work with a couple of old lads who suffer with this who say they would sooner give birth ... :whistling:

Brian, my Father always had one of those Calor gas heaters on during the Winter months, but i recall the smell that it left, has the heaters improved over the years regarding this issue? It did keep his very large Garage warm thou ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian

Jim

Grand Master
If i remember correctly the new style (in your link) doesn't look square ... :whistling:

The style certainly hasn't changed, that's for sure. :bwink: Thanks for the link, if i get to st=art finishing on time i may just invest in one of these ... :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The one in the link is the exact same one as I have.
Style hasn't changed much to look at first glance but the safety issues are much better.
The back is open bar a strap to hold bottle in makes it easier to get to regulator valve, easier to change bottle and lighter to move around.
The elements / filaments are much tougher than the old fire brick type not so easily broken I am sure they give off more heat or retain it better.
The tilt switch / safety valve activates at a good knock or door open fanning the flame shutting all supply immediately.
I have noticed no smell nor has anyone else complained of fumes, my Drain comes and sits in my shed sometimes cos it's warmer than indoors LOL.
Charly Cheeky Chops loves it nice and snug in there too.
Put alongside the old one mate and you would notice the difference, of that I am sure.
I have no fear of putting this on one bar just to warm the shed while I have a cuppa, whereas I would not leave the old on at all unattended.
I don't think I have used it on all 3 bars for more than a few minutes its that warm.

MarkW

Thanks for the advice. I have one of the gas heaters and it is excellent at warming up the workshop which 18' x 12'. tilt switch is a little sensitive it shuts it off if I roll it across the floor but better that than not working at all

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If i remember correctly the new style (in your link) doesn't look square ... :whistling:

The style certainly hasn't changed, that's for sure. :bwink: Thanks for the link, if i get to st=art finishing on time i may just invest in one of these ... :bwink:

Just a thought Jim:thinks:

Burning gas gives off water vapour & as Brian has alluded to it can cause condensation on windows which in your case is the roof, so depending how long you have it running you might need your umbrella :funny:

Ralphsputin

CA Glue

Fingerless gloves like Albert Steptoe's.

If I am doing any finishing I put the oil filled radiator on or the CA doesn't go off. Otherwise I just put a few extra layers on like Alex does.:

I have to say that apart from wearing several woollies, hat and a turning smock, I have to agree that the only reason I put heat on is so the CA glue goes off! I do use my abrasive pads wet but I find I can usually do a couple of pens before the bucket ices over. :wink:

I have found that in the cold I have to swap faceguard for safety glasses because the face guard steams up.

My major problem is that I am only allowed a tin mug (numerous breaking of pot ones in past) and my tea goes colder quicker.

Nae excuse - get out there and shred wood!

Maurice

The cold doesn't keep me out of the shed but what I am worried about is the damp with the current weather. As I only have an 8' x7' wooden shed at the bottom of the garden
I am not sure how to keep the metalwork from showing signs of rust. I cover the lathe after each use but the bed still shows the start of rust, as does the bandsaw I have tried silicone spray but this does not
seem to make any difference. I am wondering if I could leave an oil filled radiator on all the while (would have to grin and bear the bills).
How do others handle this problem?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Way back when in the 50/60s night lights (today called t lights ???) were used to keep damp an frost away very cheap but nowadays not H&S.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
The cold doesn't keep me out of the shed but what I am worried about is the damp with the current weather. As I only have an 8' x7' wooden shed at the bottom of the garden
I am not sure how to keep the metalwork from showing signs of rust. I cover the lathe after each use but the bed still shows the start of rust, as does the bandsaw I have tried silicone spray but this does not
seem to make any difference. I am wondering if I could leave an oil filled radiator on all the while (would have to grin and bear the bills).
How do others handle this problem?

Maurice, I've got a real leaky workshop with no heating. I keep the machinery out of the way of the drips, but for over five years I have three lathes, two bandsaws, chop saw, pillar drill, piece of Andira inermis and pyrus communis all in there and nothing has shown signs of rust, all working perfectly. Think the only thing that will suffer if you put a heater in there is your wallet, at least the moisture would be warm?

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Maurice, I've got a real leaky workshop with no heating. I keep the machinery out of the way of the drips, but for over five years I have three lathes, two bandsaws, chop saw, pillar drill, piece of Andira inermis and pyrus communis all in there and nothing has shown signs of rust, all working perfectly. Think the only thing that will suffer if you put a heater in there is your wallet, at least the moisture would be warm?

I'm the same as you & Neil Maurice (but without the leaks), just an ordinary shed without insulation etc and haven't had any rust on any machines.
Have you boarded up the inside of your shed?? could be that if no air movement / ventilation.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).