• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ivory Blank

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
need for a roman harvest
never turned one before but 16mm is is a bit close for comfort
I bet that 34mm will make u something nice

Steve

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
need for a roman harvest
never turned one before but 16mm is is a bit close for comfort
I bet that 34mm will make u something nice

Steve

I didn't realise that it was that nice, I thought it was just plain like the axminster stuff. I have no idea what to use the 34mm stuff for.

I am not sure what the outside diameter of the roman harvest would be the frill size is 13mm. so you may get away with the 18mm stuff, You are welcome to a couple of pieces if you want.

I have just phone Anne at GPS Agencies - Real ivory alternative and replica materials and they sell 1.5metres of 20mm for £16.90 + vat and delivery of £12, but if they cut it into 4 then they can send it by royal mail which would be cheaper. They will cut it into any lengths you want and charge 5% for cutting.

Peter

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I didn't realise that it was that nice, I thought it was just plain like the axminster stuff. I have no idea what to use the 34mm stuff for.

I am not sure what the outside diameter of the roman harvest would be the frill size is 13mm. so you may get away with the 18mm stuff, You are welcome to a couple of pieces if you want.

I have just phone Anne at GPS Agencies - Real ivory alternative and replica materials and they sell 1.5metres of 20mm for £16.90 + vat and delivery of £12, but if they cut it into 4 then they can send it by royal mail which would be cheaper. They will cut it into any lengths you want and charge 5% for cutting.

Peter

that price doesnt sound too bad
i rang them earlier and they are supposed to email me
i may want a few bits so will give them another try

thankyou for offer

Steve

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Steve this is a Antler pen I made back in the very very early days of pen turning

Photo is terrible but should give a rough idea if you can manage to turn antler and not go into the centre so much then the flecking is not so bad. If you are passing give me a ring if you still have my number and you can have a piece to try

Attachments

• DSCF0003-001.jpg
    DSCF0003-001.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 72

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
cheers Derek

i have your number
will give u a call when next in area

i never got a reply from the faux ivory suppliers:rant:
cross them off my xmas list

Steve

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
i have ordered some of the ivory
will let u know of quality

Steve

I know it's a while ago, but did you get what you ordered and how was it?

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
One tip I was given last weekend about alternative ivory that might seem a bit white was to soak it in tea.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
One tip I was given last weekend about alternative ivory that might seem a bit white was to soak it in tea.

It sounds like it wouldn't work because it's made out of resin, but I know I rubbed dye on a piece of tufnol I made a pen from and that transformed it beautifully.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The tannin in the tea stains it for a while but I wouldn't suggest it's a permanent solution.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
i finally had a go
was so fragile i blew one piece during assembly
bit heavy handed with the vice handle:nooidea:
Roman Harvest FP
Steve

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 21

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice but you can't see much of the Ivory from the picture. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).