• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

January's Competition

Jim

Grand Master
How it was done before Jim, was that the images were sent to me where i posted them up anonymously, we have a programme where members can take one vote on the pen that they believe to be the best, the top five then go into a poll, where everyone then votes on their favourite, the one with the most votes is announced the winner. All along no one knows whose is whose pen other than me...

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Blind but we should know who's is who's at the end. How about a pen from a bit of willow... something you would never do? I'm sure that some of the people on here could turn an unturnable piece of wood into something good.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Got to be careful on this one as some forum members are anti plastic so if judges are selected they have to be strictly neutral !!!!

I prefer that members casting their votes as in the past should stay.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I prefer that members casting their votes as in the past should stay.

I agree too. But at the end show the owners and no of votes... might be a bit disappointing if you don't get any votes but hey, if you can't stand the heat etc....

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Pen and letter opener.

I would prefer to see it kept blind and the identities of entrants to be kept secret from all until a winner is chosen. Also for the membership to vote rather than a panel of judges.

I would suggest only new work, something made specifically for the competition, not something that has been shown anywhere.

If you need help I am more than happy to offer my services.

Can I suggest you think about setting up a group of around 3 people to act as procurers for prizes. They could contact all the suppliers that we all use and see if they will donate something. Whatever a supplier donates we could thank them and give them publicity on the forum.

Peter

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Pen and letter opener.

I would prefer to see it kept blind and the identities of entrants to be kept secret from all until a winner is chosen. Also for the membership to vote rather than a panel of judges.

I would suggest only new work, something made specifically for the competition, not something that has been shown anywhere.

If you need help I am more than happy to offer my services.

Can I suggest you think about setting up a group of around 3 people to act as procurers for prizes. They could contact all the suppliers that we all use and see if they will donate something. Whatever a supplier donates we could thank them and give them publicity on the forum.

Peter

i like that idea as there is a fourm i know of that they have a raffle for charity that all the supplies then get publicity

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Blind....

Some good ideas coming out Jim.

I can offer my services if you are really desperate, my only problem for January is its a mega busy time for me.. 21 days back to back 12 hour shifts..:down: plus travel time.....

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Jim,

Willing to help out in any way I can, be it with the comp or elsewhere.

As for the competition, I think that it should be run regularity, not necessarily frequently. Every other month may be appropriate? I have seen other competitions suffer in a wave of enthusiasm, a period of toleration and then a speedy decline, and I'm not referring to those on other pen turning forums but on more general wood working forums. We need to think carefully what the objectives of a competition are. We will submit and be judged on the basis of photographic excellence or, in my case, lack of it, and to that end have to be careful to be inclusive. Face it we're not the biggest forum in the world nor do we want to be but we will need the commitment of entry to make it worthwhile. Elsewhere there is a forum with thousands of members whose competition regularity attracts three, four of five entries? And the point of that is? To be honest there is little to distinguish many of the pens that are posted here, all are of a highish standard.

I believe that we should have a comp, possibly run every other month and that it should involve a degree of innovation. Coupled with what I have said above about the standard of entries that members are capable of, I see little point in having a competition where the objective is to make a standard pen or pair of standard pens, not exactly pushing the boundaries?

The recent long wood adaptations by Ian and the bullet pen entries all showed variations to the standard designs and all are designs that could be easily made and, if so desired, sold, they were of a high enough standard.

So my vote is to have a bi monthly comp, standard pens out of the window, pens made out of unusual materials, reconfigured components, but all something that can be achieved by someone with the basic kit -a tall order to think it up.

Anyway that's my thoughts.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I agree blind and would nominate Ed as your secretary he has experience and yes some hard and fast rules entry made for the compo and only shown in the compo voting as we did before winner to be announced at the end by name and the same for all entry's maybe no prizes just the winners go in a hall of fame as was done on Brians forum that way we dont incur expenses

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Entering specific types of pens is all well and good for the experts, but I don't think it encourages the folk that have been turning pens for just a few short months or even weeks to participate. So, if this months competition requires you to construct a diamond encrusted bullet pen made from a WWII .303 Lee Enfield rifle round you really should have separate categories i.e. Expert, Intermediate or Learner. For those who are just starting out on the pen turning journey maybe a separate bi monthly competition . So one month custom made type pens for anyone who fancies a go, and the following month best kit pen for all who think that they stand a chance.
Another problem which can put off prospective entrants is if the first picture to go on show is an absolute stonker lots of folks wont bother putting theirs up thinking 'what's the point'. It happens . On the metal detecting forum that I belong to there is a monthly comp for the best coin found . It only takes the first coin put up to be a gold stater and no one else bothers because they all know the stater will win hands down. Then admin complain about the lack of interest. For years I have been suggesting that they withhold all picture entries until the closing date so no one can view the entries and decide whether or not to enter their own.

I'll get mi coat.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
How about a 'themed' compo? With 2014 being another World Cup year we could have 'World Cup' themed pen compo? Beginners and experts could have fun with that ...

While I agree that we should have voting, if Jim needs others to help carry the load I fully support that. I am happy to help where I can - while I don't personally like plastic in my pens, I am easily impressed by it in the work of others! :kiss:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Entering specific types of pens is all well and good for the experts, but I don't think it encourages the folk that have been turning pens for just a few short months or even weeks to participate. So, if this months competition requires you to construct a diamond encrusted bullet pen made from a WWII .303 Lee Enfield rifle round you really should have separate categories i.e. Expert, Intermediate or Learner. For those who are just starting out on the pen turning journey maybe a separate bi monthly competition . So one month custom made type pens for anyone who fancies a go, and the following month best kit pen for all who think that they stand a chance.
Another problem which can put off prospective entrants is if the first picture to go on show is an absolute stonker lots of folks wont bother putting theirs up thinking 'what's the point'. It happens . On the metal detecting forum that I belong to there is a monthly comp for the best coin found . It only takes the first coin put up to be a gold stater and no one else bothers because they all know the stater will win hands down. Then admin complain about the lack of interest. For years I have been suggesting that they withhold all picture entries until the closing date so no one can view the entries and decide whether or not to enter their own.

I'll get mi coat.

You're absolutely spot on Ed !!!!!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

I'll get mi coat.

Ed,

You've taken my point out of context, I did say a degree of innovation. And after all bar the diamond encrustations, that's what most people achieved last October? Peter has produced some great slim lines with grooves and patterns, this doesn't require a degree of expert/intermediate/beginner classification it's not really rocket science but more about pushing people out of their comfort zone.

The objective of the competition should be, in my opinion to get people out of their comfort zones, to do something that they would otherwise not do

I agree totally with holding back the entries, makes total sense.

alisboy

Hi Jim

If i can help you with this or anything else please let me know.
Just out of interest when i look at pens it's for how they look and not what they are made of other than that could take some time and skill to make.

Ernie

Ernie

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Whenever I look at a pen or any turned item I always before making any comments take into account how long the turner has been turning what may be considered a standard pen by dare I say an expert is a great achievement for a beginner we have all said to a beginner I can remember a pen compo on another forum when a guy said not enough effort had been put into it and two people were very offended one was a guy who works full time and looks after his wife another was a woman with a permanent injury to her wrist it took great effort on there part to take part so to me there are always other things to consider as well as what pen is the best

So to be fare when judging a pen we need to consider the ability of every entrant who takes part then maybe the best looking pen wont always win so now I will put my coat on and shut the door on my way out to my workshop

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Ed,

You've taken my point out of context, I did say a degree of innovation. And after all bar the diamond encrustations, that's what most people achieved last October? Peter has produced some great slim lines with grooves and patterns, this doesn't require a degree of expert/intermediate/beginner classification it's not really rocket science but more about pushing people out of their comfort zone.

The objective of the competition should be, in my opinion to get people out of their comfort zones, to do something that they would otherwise not do

I agree totally with holding back the entries, makes total sense.

I wasn't really having a go at your post Neil, but more likely at how having to submit a custom made pen affected my decision not to enter the October competition. Prior to that competition Jim had mentioned that he might kick the monthly competition into touch because of lack of support. He had many replies, including mine, urging him not to. Although I only had been turning pens for a few weeks I geared myself up for the competition.... turning my newbie 'Masterpieces' with the hope that one would be good enough to enter in the competition.My expectations though, were deflated, when it was suggested that because of the uniqueness of this particular competition a special custom made pen was called for. Because I had neither the expertise or maybe the special tools needed I had no option but to sit this competition out . I am crtainly not against the idea of expanding members abilities at the lathe, but some members including myself are out of their comfort zone still trying to achieve their best yet kit pen; they also may not have the extra machinery needed to complete the task of making a custom pen either.
Please don't get me wrong here I am not against lovley pens being made by those who can and then being shown in competitions. What I am trying to say is : Should I as a newbie even bother to enter, say, a competition for custom made segmented pens when members such as jttheclockman have also entered ?
Maybe just so that everyone gets a chance of winning a competion two months out of the twelve could be set aside for a novice only kit pen competion ?

Not sure if all this twaddle makes any sense ...I'm hopless at converting my thoughts into words.

Luv you all

Ed

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).