• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

jigsaw puzzle blades

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Brian, don't try the spiral

Red rag init mate?
Update from them this moaning order marked as dispatched, they are wending their wicked way to me.
First one is gonna be the spiral, I will find out for myself how bad they are despite the warnings.
Is it a full battle dress job to use em?
Are they likely to uncoil and pierce the pupil or something like that?

Bluefoxy

It's typical innit. You've had the bl##dy machine 5 minutes and already you are delighting your grandchildren with it. I had it 18 months and only managed to do a star, which didn't impress my grandchildren one bit! :vangry:

Glad you're enjoying it Brian.............

Ray

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
If you stick Palapeli on your Ubuntu machine you can install and run it easily,

Don you are a hero, I was looking for something like that, could only find Tetzle and that is squared thingies.
Installed it on the Linuxcnc machine in shed, been playing bloody puzzles ever since init?
Grandchildren will love this init?
How do you print from it I ain't looked any further I just keep putting puzzles together.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Should have warned you Brian :devil: It is a very addictive programme.
Can't remember how I managed to print the pic with the lines showing but will open the programme and have a look after tea. :thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Brian,
I believe I downloaded an overlay from the internet. Google jigsaw puzzle patterns and it throws up a lot of patterns.
I use the Gimp to make it the size I need. Any problems just ask. I could do a run through if you like.
Here is a useful chart for blade sizes.

blade_chart.jpg

and the overlay

Jigsaw-puzzle-pattern-largethumb3438789.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I use the Gimp

You are a bloody superstar init?
I knew I had seen what I wanted and you have just reminded me where.
Gimp, Filters, Render, Pattern, Jigsaw init?

From this:

P1090500.jpg

To this init?

puzzle1.jpg

Create a new blank pic and select the Jigsaw plugin make it as you want and screenshot it to get your overlay. simples init?

shot.png

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Yes :thumbs: That's the one Brian :thumbs: Gimp hasn't failed me yet, it's my memory that's failing.
A recent article at Scrollsaw Village threw this piece up
This is a project I started in March. It is called the "Five Dragon Box", pattern from "finescrollsaw.com". It is no where near finished, not glued up I just have is assembled for the picture. This is the project that made me go from an advocate for spiral blades only, to an advocate of it is wise to get proficient with both flat and spiral blades. I cut this out with spirals, now I am in the process of filing/sanding all the cuts to remove the spiral saw marks. It is going to take me a long time! I have about 1/3 of the top piece done. I only work on it for short period because I hate sanding and I keep finding excuses to sit at the scroll saw.

Been temped to try out some scroll saw files like these: http://www.woodented...=90&cat=&page=1

Anyone know it they work??

5_dragona.jpg

So in effect he has to do the job twice, once to cut it out and again to file it smooth. Seems a waste to me. :nonono:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's superb Don, I dunno if I would have the patience to do something like that nor the want for such a fancy box.
I will keep it simple to start with and learn the basics again.

Holding the bloody material on the table is hard enuff at the moment and stopping before cutting to far is taking a bit of getting used to.
I did some scroll work many years ago, pattern making but it weren't intricate or demanding, template stuff for cutting plastics.

Kiddies puzzles bring so much joy and seem to be a good starting point, I'll stick with them for now.
This thread has been very educational for me thanks to all for your input init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I seem to remember red lines are easier to see when cutting rather than the black, once again Gimp is our friend init?

Screenshot from 2015-05-18 11:06:14.png

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I tend to use red lines as you say they show better.

Oh good, I wasn't dreaming.
Can't wait for the new blades to arrive, I have the pictures printed and laminated and overlay's in red all waiting to go init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hmm I just got told I was the 10.000 th visitor to penturners and had a survey to fill in, stupidly did but then it wanted money.
WHAT'S HAPPENING JIM???

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Here is a puzzle to keep the kids quite they can spend hours trying to assemble it while it is hanging(The puzzle not the kids).

And no carpet was used or harmed in the taking pictures of this

Attachments

• 2013-03-20_13-30-22.jpg
    2013-03-20_13-30-22.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2013-03-20_13-37-02 - Copy (566x800).jpg
    2013-03-20_13-37-02 - Copy (566x800).jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 15

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I seem to remember red lines are easier to see when cutting rather than the black, once again Gimp is our friend init?

View attachment 18096

You're right Brian. I was told to use a red pen when tracing the designs on to wood for the Pyrography. That way you can see where you have traced. It works :thumbs:
It is easy enough to mark the picture with pencil squares and add little round blobs at each edge. You don't have to cut exactly on the line (only you will know if you go off line)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).